Unspecified things in SBP-2 rev. 2

PJohansson at aol.com PJohansson at aol.com
Sat Feb 8 19:22:24 PST 1997

* PJohansson at aol.com
*
In a message dated 97-02-05 03:22:44 EST, jfuller at microsoft.com (John Nels
Fuller) writes:

<< After all our long hard work on SBP-2 I have discovered a couple of
 omissions in SBP-2 that I think should be addressed:

 1.	TARGET_RESET does not specify whether it affects only the logical
 unit indicated by login_id or all logical units associated with the
 MANAGEMENT_AGENT register.  This really should be made clear.  I prefer
 that it only affect a single logical unit, but I am willing to admit
 that there are good arguments for having it affect all logical units for
 the MANAGEMENT_AGENT.  In either case, it must be specified so that we
 can know what it is we are doing.

 2.	The descriptions of both the MANAGEMENT_AGENT register and the
 ORB_POINTER register explicitly say that they must support an 8-byte
 block write, but the figures imply that they should also support an
 8-byte block read.  We should state this explicitly.  If we should need
 to read these registers (which is more likely for ORB_POINTER) then
 using a block read would at least give us a single consistent pointer
 instead of half old and half new.

John, both of these are corrected in Revision 2a of SBP-2; it should be
available, at the T10 FTP site, before you get to work Monday morning.

In my opinion neither is a technical change and therefore does not require
plenary approval to update the draft.

I think a reading of 10.4.4 actually shows that target reset affects all
logical units, but I have added the phrase "...for all logical units..." to
strengthen the description.

I have also added support for an 8-byte block read to the MANAGEMENT_AGENT
and ORB_POINTER registers.

Regards,

Peter Johansson
T10 Technical Editor, SBP-2