Questions on Persistent Reservations...retry

Steve Sicola...ACE 522 2268 sicola at Peaks.enet.dec.com
Wed Aug 6 11:10:51 PDT 1997

* "Steve Sicola...ACE 522 2268" <sicola at peaks.ENET.dec.com>
*
I would like to ask a couple questions to see where everyone is at on some
'boundary conditions' with respect to persistent reservations..

1st... What about persistent reservations to LUN0 if it is the controller
device? Any thoughts on practicality of such a thing and any restrictions that
might want to be placed on it (by comment or spec treatment?)...in general
the reservations are for media access, but hosts ought to know what the right
thing to do with the controller device...

2nd... How persistent to reservations need to be with respect to power-off
situations. The definition of this case could be power-failure and planned
power shutdowns. I can see where the reserations should be kept across
power-failures, but I am not sure it applies when someone decides to turn
their computer room for the weekend to save energy...I suppose it could
be the fact that no other access is allowed providing some type security,
but its not much...

Steve
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com