SCAM on LDV (round 2)

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cossymwest.co.symbios.com
Thu Oct 24 11:51:00 PDT 1996

* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at COSSYMWEST.CO.SYMBIOS.COM>
*

George wrote:
 --------
>What, no comments on SCAM being usable on LDV!!!  Did everyone leave the
>country or what.  Could it be that there just is no interest in SCAM on
LVD.
>Many think LVD is the furture of SCSI which implies there is no SCAM in
>the future. It seems to me the only logical thing to do would be to
>elimiate SCAM altogether or to removed it from SPI and make it in to
>a tecnical report.

Not so fast, George.  SCAM should work perfectly fine on LVD.  There is
no reason the LVD drivers cannot be operated in wired-OR mode (they
already are required to operate in wired-OR mode on the RST, BSY, and SEL
signals).  SCAM operates several more signals in wired-OR mode and it
needs to be able to both drive and receive these signals at the same
time.  Otherwise, SCAM demands nothing of the drivers and receivers that
normal SCSI does not demand.

SCAM should also work fine on HVD, but I do not know of any
implementations because SCAM support for HVD requires way too many pins
on the protocol chip to support the external transceivers.  LVD solves
this problem by putting the drivers and receivers on the protocol chip.

>This topic should be placed on the agenda for Palm Springs.

I'll add it if you want, but I think there is very little to discuss.

John

PS: All of the announced and shipping LVD silicon in the worId already
supports SCAM.

John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--14400 baud

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com