Mixed bus widths

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cossymwest.co.symbios.com
Tue Oct 22 09:20:00 PDT 1996

* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at COSSYMWEST.CO.SYMBIOS.COM>
*

Greg Alvey wrote:
 ----------
>I seem to remember that there used to be something in the FAST-20
document
>that said something like: "the bus width shall be constant" (at least
for
>single ended).... but ...
>After reviewing Rev 6 of FAST-20, it appears to have "gone away".
>
>I guess I missed that one!  Maybe someone can inform us as to "when &
why?".
>I wonder if this statement was moved to another document (SPI or SPI-2
maybe)?

Your memory serves you well.  The statement was removed near the end of
the Fast-20 development when the working group went into "permissive
mode" (this is when the marketing people start reviewing the draft
document ;-).  No one knew for sure that mixed widths would cause
problems, so the restriction was removed.  About the same time we
softened much of the wording surrounding cable length restrictions.

John
John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--14400 baud

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com