Revised SBP-2 Project Proposal

PJohansson at aol.com PJohansson at aol.com
Sat Oct 19 10:58:26 PDT 1996

* PJohansson at aol.com
*
Martin,

Thanks for your comments.

I think the matter of which ongoing standards activities are to be referenced
in the SBP-2 project proposal deserves some discussion by X3T10.  Clearly,
standards development activities that have a direct bearing upon SBP-2
deserve inclusion. Along those lines, I would concur with Steve Finch's
assertion that P1212a (once authorized) is indeed closely related---by virtue
of the use of configuration ROM within SBP-2.

With respect to other projects I think it is less clear. At one extreme, one
could cite every conceivable command set that might ever use SBP-2 as a
transport protocol and at the other extreme cite none. The reality is likely
to lie somewhere in between.

Of the other three projects you mention, I think that only P1285 arguably
might be in this category.  Neither P1596 nor P1996 has a direct relationship
to SBP-2 and neither concerns itself with a peripheral device command set.
However, P1285 itself encompasses both a transport protocol and a command
set. One could implement P1285 devices in conjunction with IEEE Std 1394-1995
and have no need to reference SBP-2. Speaking for myself, I do not see a
close relationship between P1285 and SBP-2.

In short, I do not believe that the other three projects have a close enough
relationship with SBP-2 to merit their reference in the project proposal.
SBP-2 is intended to be uniquely suited to its underlying medium, IEEE Std
1394-1995.

However, if it is the case that you are not present in Palm Springs in person
to speak for yourself, I will represent your position at the X3T10 Plenary.

Informal liaison with P1285, P1596 and P1996 is welcome in any event.

Sincerely,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
3998 Whittle Avenue