Mixed bus widths

Greg Alvey KD6NNM at gnn.com
Fri Oct 18 17:39:49 PDT 1996

* Greg Alvey <KD6NNM at gnn.com>
*
I seem to remember that there used to be something in the FAST-20 document
that said something like: "the bus width shall be constant" (at least for
single ended).... but ...
After reviewing Rev 6 of FAST-20, it appears to have "gone away".

I guess I missed that one!  Maybe someone can inform us as to "when & why?".
I wonder if this statement was moved to another document (SPI or SPI-2 maybe)?

Later,

Greg A.

>* From the SCSI Reflector (scsi at symbios.com), posted by:
>* wally at eng.adaptec.com (Walter Bridgewater x2371)
>*
>
>I would like to add 1 more thing about scsi cable configurations
>that maybe hasn't been given much thought.
>
>Mixing 16 & 8 bit LVD SCSI devices on the same bus will probably
>also cause the bus not to work.  The capacitance matching is very
>tight in the spec and what will happen to the matching if people
>start mixing 8 & 16 bit devices on the same bus?
>
>We should also tell people not to do this, even though it was
>allowed for Ultra SCSI.
>
>Regards,
>
>Wally
>*
>* For SCSI Reflector information, send a message with
>* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com

Greg Alvey
KD6NNM at gnn.com

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com