SE LVD Hot Swap

Gerry Johnsen gerry at ciprico.com
Wed Oct 16 10:49:09 PDT 1996

* Gerry Johnsen <gerry at ciprico.com>
*
Maybe I am misinterpeting something but it appears to me there is a
more serious problem with hot swapping SE devices on a active LVD bus
then the state of the diff sense line.  When the SE device is attached
it will immediatly tie all +signal lines (+DB0-+DB16, +REQ, +ACK, ect)
to ground.  This will halt any current LVD activity in progress and
prevent any successful bus activity until the whole bus switches to
SE.

Due to the complexities in implimenting case 4 hot swap between LVD
and SE devices I would recommend it is outside the scope of SPI-2 and
only addressed in future proposals if a market need is identified.

Gerry Johnsen                           Ciprico Inc
voice (612)551-4000                     The Disk Array Company
fax (612)551-4002                       2800 Campus Drive
gerry at ciprico.com                       Plymouth, MN 55441

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com