Voltage mode driver penalty

Gerry Houlder Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Wed May 15 10:43:30 PDT 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* Gerry Houlder <Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com>
*
The different operating modes of current mode versus voltage mode drivers
appears to be significant. Does this mean that devices with "voltage mode"
drivers may not be able to coexist with devices that have "current mode"
drivers? If there is any chance of intermix problems, we had better specify
only one type.

I recall that IPI had different (and somewhat incompatible) driver circuits for
voltage mode and current mode. This was one of the things that made IPI
unpopular because the customer always had to make sure that all devices used
the same style of driver and each vendor only supported (or wanted to support)
one style. I hope we don't end up with a similar situation for LVD SCSI.