Minutes of X3T10 Plenary Meeting #15 - 5/9/96

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cossymwest.co.symbios.com
Tue May 14 16:36:00 PDT 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at COSSYMWEST.CO.SYMBIOS.COM>
*

Minutes  of X3T10 Plenary Meeting #15 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
X3T10/96-168r0

Accredited Standards Committee*
X3, Information Technology
                                              Doc. No.: X3T10/96-168r0
                                                  Date: May 15, 1996
                                               Project:
                                             Ref. Doc.:
                                              Reply to: John Lohmeyer

To:                 Membership of X3T10

From:               Ralph Weber, Secretary X3T10
                    John Lohmeyer, Chair X3T10

Subject:            Minutes of X3T10 Plenary Meeting #15
                    Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- May 9, 1996

                            Agenda

1. Opening Remarks

2. Approval of Agenda

3. Attendance and Membership

4.  Approval  of Minutes - March Meeting San Diego, CA  (X3T10/96-
  139r1)

5. Document Distribution

6. Call for Patents

7. Review of Old Action Items

8. Subgroup and/or Project Status Reports
  8.1 Project Status Summary and X3/OMC Liaison [Lohmeyer]
  8.2 X3T10.1 Task Group Report [Lamers]
  8.3 SCSI Common Access Method (CAM) {Project 792-D} [Dallas]
  8.4  SCSI-3  Parallel  Interface (SPI)  Status  {Project  855-D}
     [Lamers]
  8.5  SCSI-3  Interlocked Protocol (SIP) Status  {Project  856-D}
     [Penokie]
  8.6  SCSI Common Access Method -3 (CAM-3) Status {Project 990-D}
     [Dallas]
  8.7  SCSI-3  Serial  Bus Protocol (SBP) Status  {Project  992-D}
     [Roberts]
  8.8  SCSI-3 Fiber Channel Protocol (FCP) Status {Project  993-D}
     [Snively]
  8.9  SCSI-3  Architecture  Model (SAM)  Status  {Project  994-D}
     [Monia
  8.10  SCSI-3  Primary  Commands  (SPC)  Status  {Project  995-D}
     [Weber]
  8.11   SCSI-3  Block  Commands  (SBC)  Status  {Project   996-D}
     [Milligan]
  8.12   SCSI-3  Stream  Commands  (SSC)  Status  {Project  997-D}
     [Lappin]
  8.13  SCSI-3  Graphics  Commands (SGC)  Status  {Project  998-D}
     [Tewell]
  8.14 SCSI-3 Medium Changer Commands (SMC) Status {Project 999-D}
     [Oetting]
  8.15  SCSI-3  Controller Commands (SCC) Status {Project  1047-D}
     [Penokie]
  8.16  Multimedia  Command  Set  (MMC)  Status  {Project  1048-D}
     [Roberts]
  8.17  SCSI-3 Fast-20 Parallel Interface (Fast-20) {Project 1071-
     D} [Lamers]
  8.18 SCSI Parallel Interface - 2 (SPI-2) {Project 1142-D} [Ham]
  8.19  SCSI  Enhanced  Parallel Interface (EPI) Technical  Report
     {Project 1143-D} [Ham]
  8.20  SCSI  Fibre Channel Protocol - 2 (FCP-2) {Project  1144-D}
     [Snively]
  8.21  Boot  Considerations  Technical Report  {Project  1154-DT}
     [Penman]
  8.22  SCSI-3  Serial  Bus  Protocol 2 (SBP-2)  {Project  1155-D}
     [Johansson]
  8.23 SCSI Architecture Model - 2 (SAM-2) {Project 1157-D [Monia]
  8.24 SPI Amendment (SPIAmnd) {Project 0855-D} [Johansson/Lamers}
  8.25 SCC-2 Study Group [Penokie]
  8.26 SCSI-3 Enclosure Commands (SES) [Snively]

9. Old Business
  9.1 Results of SPC Letter Ballot (96-012)

10. New Business
  10.1 Actions on Working Group Recommendations
     10.1.1   High   Availability  Project   Proposal   (96-151r1)
       [Hagerman]
     10.1.2 SPI Amendment (96-130) [Johansson]
     10.1.3 SPI-2 Clarification of When Parity is Valid (96-162r0)
       [Penokie]
     10.1.4 Programmable Capacity Revisited (96-171r0) [Houlder]
     10.1.5 SBC Commands [Milligan]
     10.1.6 SCC-2 Project Proposal
  10.2 Electronic Notification (95-146r1) [Lohmeyer]

11. ISO
  11.1 ISO Report [Milligan]
  11.2 Instructions to Delegation to SC 25/WG 4
  11.3 SSA ISO/IEC NWIs
  11.4 SSA ISO/IEC CD Contributions

12. Liaison Reports
  12.1 X3T11 Liaison Report [Cummings]
  12.2 X3T13 Liaison Report [Milligan]
     12.2.1  MMC-2  and/or Additional CD-ROM Command  Set  Project
       (X3T13/96-009) [Milligan]
  12.3 SFF Industry Group [Allan]
  12.4 IEEE 1394 [Johansson]
  12.5 IEEE P1285 Status
  12.6 PCMCIA Report []
  12.7 SCSI Trade Association (STA) [Jones]

13. Review of Action Items

14. Meeting Schedule
  14.1 Authorization of Working Group Meetings

15. Adjournment

                         Results of Meeting

1.   Opening Remarks

John Lohmeyer, the X3T10 Chair, called the meeting to order at 1:02
p.m., Thursday May 9, 1996.  He thanked Norm Harris of Adaptec for
hosting the meeting, at which point the hotel fire alarm sounded and
the meeting was temporarily recessed.

When the meeting resumed, John said that X3 Subgroup Membership forms
and the X3T10 Mailing Subscription form were available on the
document table.  He said that people should use the X3 forms to
insure the X3 Secretariat has the latest membership information.
These forms should be mailed directly to the X3 Secretariat.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves and a
copy of the attendance list was circulated.  Copies of the draft
agenda and general information on X3T10 were made available to those
attending.

2.   Approval of Agenda

The draft agenda was approved with the following additions:

     8.26 SCSI-3 Enclosure Commands (SES) [Snively]
     10.1.1 High Availability Project Proposal (96-151r1) [Hagerman]
     10.1.2 SPI Amendment (96-130) [Johansson]
     10.1.3 SPI-2 Clarification of When Parity is Valid (96-162r0)
            [Penokie]
     10.1.4 Programmable Capacity Revisited (96-171r0) [Houlder]
     10.1.5 SBC Commands [Milligan]
     10.1.6 SCC-2 Project Proposal
     10.2 Electronic Notification (95-146r1) [Lohmeyer]

3.   Attendance and Membership

The membership requirements were reviewed.  X3 rules permit one vote
per organization.  An individual from a new organization must attend
two out of three consecutive plenary meetings.  He/she may apply for
voting membership the second meeting via a letter to the Chair of
X3T10.  The individual may vote at the second plenary meeting.
Working group meetings do not count toward attendance requirements.

Organizations must also pay the X3 Service Fee ($300) to maintain
membership.  The ANSI International Program Fee (also $300) is billed
at the same time.

The Chair said he had sent letters to 3 people from 2 organizations
informing them that their membership was in jeopardy due to non-
attendance (see 96-017r0) and that their membership would be
terminated if they did not attend this meeting.  All organizations
were represented at this meeting except:

IIX Consulting

Organizations not present were `terminated' (that is, the principal
was changed to observer and the first alternate, if any, was dropped.
Any additional alternates were changed to observer status).

Since the last meeting, Zane Daggett of Hitachi Cable was changed
|from an additional alternate for Hitachi to the principal member for
Hitachi Cable.  The X3 Secretariat has ruled that several of the
Hitachi companies are separate organizations.  Other Hitachi members
may wish to consider joining X3T10 separately.

John announced the following new members at this meeting:

Roger Cummings (P) and Tom Treadway (A) from Distributed Processing
Tech.
Bill McFerrin (P) and David Pohm (A) from Philips KMG

The X3T10 membership during the meeting was at 49 organizations up
|from 48 organizations last time.  Enclosure (1) is the list of the
people present at the meeting and enclosure (2) is the current X3T10
membership list.

4.   Approval of Minutes - March Meeting San Diego, CA (X3T10/96-
     139r1)

The minutes were approved as written.

5.   Document Distribution

Members who have any problems with their mailing subscription should
deal directly with Katrina Gray (kgray at itic.nw.dc.us) (202) 626-5741.

Larry Lamers requested that all documents for the next mailing be in
his hands by 10:30 a.m. on Thursday May 16, 1996. Documents received
after this time will go into a subsequent mailing.

Larry Lamers reminded the committee of the requirements for document
submission to be included in the committee mailing.  Since X3T10
meets its document archiving requirements by including the X3
Secretariat on the mailing list, documents included in the mailing
must be suitable for archiving.  This means that native-format
electronic originals with proper identification must be submitted.
Document X3T10/95-147 contains the list of requirements for
submissions.  Document X3T10/95-361r0 contains instructions for
expeditious delivery of documents to Larry.

The electronic copies can be emailed directly to Larry (at
ljlamers at corp.adaptec.com), placed on the SCSI BBS (719-533-7950), or
they can be ftp'd to ftp.symbios.com and placed in the
/pub/standards/io/incoming directory. In the latter two cases, please
also send an email to Larry (at ljlamers at aol.com) informing him of
the exact file name and location of the file.

As usual, minutes are also available on the SCSI BBS (719-533-7950)
and will be distributed to the SCSI Reflector. John noted that the
SCSI BBS has a new phone number

To be added to the SCSI Reflector, send an email to
majordomo at symbios.com with the line 'subscribe scsi' in the message
body.  The X3 Secretariat maintains a World Wide Web page at
http://www.x3.org.  Symbios Logic maintains a World Wide Web page on
behalf of X3T10 at http://www.symbios.com/x3t10.

The current document register is enclosure (3).

6.   Call for Patents

This is a regular agenda item to identify any potential patent issues
with developing standards.

A document is available from ANSI, "Procedures for the Development
and Coordination of American National Standards", at no charge.  This
document is also on the WWW at http://www.x3.org/help/ansi_sdo.html.
Annex I contains the ANSI patent policy.

7.   Review of Old Action Items

136) Bob Snively will supply the summary of substantive changes
     between FCP R10 and R12 to the IR by 3/18/96.  Complete
137) George Penokie will write a document describing his concerns
     with table 9 and the text in clause 10.11.3, so that they can be
     addressed in SPI-2.  Complete
138) Larry Lamers will prepare a SPI amendment document for review
     and consideration at the May meeting.  Carry over
139) John Lohmeyer will generate a draft SCC-2 project proposal.
     Complete
140) John Lohmeyer will forward SIP revision 9a to X3 for processing
     toward first public review.  Complete.
141) John Lohmeyer will forward SSA-PH1 revision 9 to X3 for further
     processing toward first public review, including information
     about the unresolved negative letter ballot comment. Complete
142) John Lohmeyer will forward SSA-TL1 revision 10 to X3 for further
     processing toward first public review. Complete
143) John Lohmeyer will forward SSA-S2P revision 7 to X3 for further
     processing toward first public review. Complete
144) John Lohmeyer will help Doug Hagerman write a high availability
     project proposal in time for distribution in the next mailing.
     Complete
145) John Lohmeyer will forward the SES project proposal to X3 for
     further processing. Complete

8.   Subgroup and/or Project Status Reports

     8.1  Project Status Summary and X3/OMC Liaison [Lohmeyer]

John Lohmeyer said that the current X3T10 project status summary was
included in the X3T10 Information Packages and will be included in
the mailing as usual.

The X3 Operational Management Committee met in Scottsdale, AZ earlier
this week.  Due to the conflict with the X3T10 ad hoc meetings, Roger
Cummings, X3T11 Chair, gave the X3T10 annual report to OMC.  John
expressed his appreciation to Roger.  The annual report will be
included in the next X3T10 mailing.

John Lohmeyer and Gene Milligan had participated in this meeting via
telephone.  OMC had accepted the SES project proposal and recommended
that X3 approve it.

John announced that IEEE had sent him a "Coordination Verification"
form and a copy of the draft IEEE 1284.1/D1.1V2, Standard for
Information Technology for Transport Independent Printer/System
Interface (TIP/SI).  The form must be returned prior to June 11th.
He requested anyone with comments to contact him before then.

     8.2  X3T10.1 Task Group Report [Lamers]

Larry Lamers, acting X3T10.1 chair, provided the following written
report, which was read to the committee.

                           X3T10.1 Report
                     Larry Lamers, Chair X3T10.1

X3T10.1 met in South Burlington, VT on Wednesday, May 1, 1996 with 20
people present.  Membership is now at 19 voting organizations of which
11 were in attendance.

All of the first-generation SSA documents (PH1, TL1, and S2P) were
forwarded to X3 for first public review.  The public reviews will end
July 9, 1996.  PH1 had an unresolvable negative from FSI objecting to
standardizing the 20 MByte/Sec data rate.

Issues regarding hot swapping were addressed with a proposal to
incorporate a confirmation for status transfers.  A proposal for
including facilities to improve XOR operations will be considered at
the next meeting.

It is expected that SSA-PH2 and SSA-TL2 will have a technical
stability vote at the next plenary.  A forwarding motion is planned
for October 1996.

The next plenary meeting of X3T10.1 will be June 26, 1996, in St.
Petersburg Beach, FL at the Tradewinds Hotel (813) 562-1240, hosted
by AMP.  The meeting will begin at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday.

The long term meeting schedule was revised to three plenary meetings
for 1997 and 1998.  The locations for the August, 1996 and October,
1996 meetings were changed due to host problems.  The December 1996
meeting was canceled.  The schedule is:

Week of August 26, 1996 in Ithaca, NY hosted by Pathlight.
Week of October 28, 1996 in Hawaii, hosted by IBM.
Week of February 24, 1997 in Austin, TX  *.
Week of June 23, 1997 in Monterey, CA *.
Week of October 27, 1997 in Europe *.
Week of February 23, 1998 in *.
Week of June 22, 1998 in *.
Week of October 26, 1998 *.

     8.3  SCSI Common Access Method (CAM) {Project 792-D} [Dallas]

John Lohmeyer reported that CAM was approved by BSR on February 5,
1996.  It will be X3.232:1996.
Bill reported that CAM is at the ANSI editors and Bill is answering
occasional questions.

     8.4  SCSI-3 Parallel Interface (SPI) Status {Project 855-D} [Lamers]

Larry reported that ANSI is holding a 60 day public review on SPI
with the revised figures.  The review closes on July 9.

Larry Lamers moved that X3T10 approve a payment of $1,200 to TerrI
Heinzman for editing on SPI.  George Penokie seconded the motion.
The motion passed unanimously.

     8.5  SCSI-3 Interlocked Protocol (SIP) Status {Project 856-D}
          [Penokie]

George reported SIP is in public review.  The public review closes on
25 June 1996.

     8.6  SCSI Common Access Method -3 (CAM-3) Status {Project 990-D}
          [Dallas]

Bill reported that the working group reviewed the new software
concepts.  He promised delivery of a new draft the end of June.  The
minutes of the CAM-3 Working Group meeting are available in 96-177.

     8.7  SCSI-3 Serial Bus Protocol (SBP) Status {Project 992-D}
          [Roberts]

     Ron reported that SBP passed public review and is at X3 letter
ballot.  The X3 letter ballot closes in June 1996.

     8.8  SCSI-3 Fiber Channel Protocol (FCP) Status {Project 993-D}
          [Snively]

     Bob reported that FCP is in final ANSI editing.  The committee
discussed the ANSI editing process.

     8.9  SCSI-3 Architecture Model (SAM) Status {Project 994-D} [Monia

Larry reported that SAM is in final ANSI editing.

     8.10 SCSI-3 Primary Commands (SPC) Status {Project 995-D} [Weber]

Ralph reported that SPC is undergoing a lengthy, and as yet
incomplete, editorial review process.  He promised a best effort
attempt to provide a revised SPC for the next mailing.  John noted
that the Friday SBC editing session will also cover SPC.

     8.11 SCSI-3 Block Commands (SBC) Status {Project 996-D} [Milligan]

Gene reported that the SCSI working group reviewed the known issues
in SBC.  He noted that several commands were made obsolete.  Also,
work is in progress to cleanup the power management requirements and
make them more compatible with ATA power management.

Gene Milligan moved that the committee accept 996-D revision 4 as the
current committee working document.  Charles Monia seconded the
motion.  The motion passed unanimously.

     8.12 SCSI-3 Stream Commands (SSC) Status {Project 997-D} [Lappin]

Ted reported on the SSC/SMC Working Group meeting, the minutes of
which can be found in 96-174.

     8.13 SCSI-3 Graphics Commands (SGC) Status {Project 998-D} [Tewell]

John reported no progress on SGC.  He reminded the committee if no
one has volunteered to edit SGC by the September plenary, he will
introduce a motion to withdraw SGC from development.

     8.14 SCSI-3 Medium Changer Commands (SMC) Status {Project 999-D}
          [Oetting]

In the absence of Erich, no report was available.

     8.15 SCSI-3 Controller Commands (SCC) Status {Project 1047-D}
          [Penokie]

     George reported on the ANSI editing problems with normative
references in SCC.  The committee discussed the possible responses to
the ANSI position regarding normative references.

     Larry Lamers moved that the SCC editor be instructed to remove
all normative reference listings for documents not really referenced
in SCC normative text and to create a bibliography of references for
other X3T10 documents in the SCSI-3 Roadmap and that all other X3T10
technical editors be instructed to follow this precedent.  Charles
seconded the motion.  The motion passed by a roll call vote of
29:1:0:19=49.  The results of the roll call vote were as follows:

Organization                 Name                  Yes No Abs NP

Adaptec, Inc.                Mr. Norm Harris         1
Amdahl Corp.                 Mr. Edward Fong         1
AMP, Inc.                    Mr. George Preputnick   1
Amphenol Interconnect                                          1
Ancot Corp.                                                    1
Apple Computer               Mr. Ron Roberts         1
BusLogic                                                       1
Ciprico Inc.                                                   1
Circuit Assembly Corp.                                         1
Cirrus Logic Inc.                                              1
CMD Technology                                                 1
Congruent Software, Inc.     Mr. Peter Johansson     1
Dallas Semiconductor         Mr. Louis Grantham      1
Digital Equipment Corp.      Mr. Charles Monia       1
Distributed Processing Tech. Mr. Roger Cummings      1
Eastman Kodak Co.            Mr. Robert Reisch       1
ENDL Associate               Mr. Ralph O. Weber      1
Exabyte Corp.                Mr. Edward Lappin       1
FSI Consulting Services      Mr. Gary R. Stephens       1
Fujitsu Computer Products,Am                                   1
Hewlett Packard Co.          Mr. Stephen Holmstead   1
Hitachi Micro Systems, Inc.                                    1
Hitachi Cable Manchester,Inc                                   1
Honda Connectors                                               1
IBM Corp.                    Mr. George Penokie      1
Iomega Corp.                                                   1
KnowledgeTek, Inc.           Mr. Dennis Moore        1
Linfinity Micro              Mr. Dean Wallace        1
Maxtor Corp.                 Mr. Pete McLean         1
Methode Electronics, Inc.                                      1
Molex Inc.                                                     1
Oak Technology, Inc.         Mr. Anthony E. Pione    1
Ophidian Designs             Mr. Edward A. Gardner   1
Panasonic Technologies, Inc  Mr. Stephen F. Heil     1
Philips KMG                  Mr. David A. Pohm       1
QLogic Corp.                 Mr. Skip Jones          1
Quantum Corp.                                                  1
Seagate Technology           Mr. Gene Milligan       1
Silicon Systems, Inc.        Mr. Dave Guss           1
Storage Technology Corp.                                       1
Sun Microsystems Computer Co Mr. Robert N. Snively   1
Symbios Logic Inc.           Mr. John Lohmeyer       1
SyQuest Technology, Inc.                                       1
Tandem Computers             Mr. Pete Tobias         1
Toshiba America              Mr. Tokuyuki Totani     1
UNISYS Corporation           Mr. Kenneth J. Hallam   1
Unitrode Integrated Circuits Mr. Paul D. Aloisi      1
Western Digital Corporation                                    1
Woven Electronics                                              1

                                                    29  1   0 19 = 49

Gary Stephens declined the offer of stating a reason for his No vote
in the minutes.

     8.16 Multimedia Command Set (MMC) Status {Project 1048-D} [Roberts]

                          MMC Status Report
                            May 10, 1996

The working group has completed page by page review of Rev 6. The
editor will make corrections and additions to document and provide a
Rev 7 for the mailings.  A vote was taken within the Working Group to
recommend forwarding Rev 7 (Rev 6 with changes incorporated).  The
motion was defeated  4 yes - 7 no.

The schedule of meetings:
June 17, 18, & 19, in Irvine.
          The working group has requested that the joint meeting with
          X3T13 be re-scheduled to some later date.
July 16, & 17, 1996 in Colorado Springs

     8.17 SCSI-3 Fast-20 Parallel Interface (Fast-20) {Project 1071-D}
          [Lamers]

     Larry reported that the ANSI editorial changes have been
received and reviewed.  Larry Lamers moved that X3T10 approve the
ANSI editorial changes to Fast-20 as non-substantive.  Ralph Weber
seconded the motion. The motion was approved by a roll call vote of
29:0:0:20=49.  The results of the roll call vote were as follows:

Organization                 Name                  Yes No Abs NP

Adaptec, Inc.                Mr. Norm Harris         1
Amdahl Corp.                 Mr. Edward Fong         1
Amdahl Corp.                                                   1
Amphenol Interconnect                                          1
Ancot Corp.                                                    1
Apple Computer               Mr. Ron Roberts         1
BusLogic                                                       1
Ciprico Inc.                                                   1
Circuit Assembly Corp.                                         1
Cirrus Logic Inc.                                              1
CMD Technology                                                 1
Congruent Software, Inc.     Mr. Peter Johansson     1
Dallas Semiconductor         Mr. Louis Grantham      1
Digital Equipment Corp.      Dr. William Ham         1
Distributed Processing Tech. Mr. Roger Cummings      1
Eastman Kodak Co.            Mr. Robert Reisch       1
ENDL Associate               Mr. Ralph O. Weber      1
Exabyte Corp.                Mr. Edward Lappin       1
FSI Consulting Services                                        1
Fujitsu Computer Products,Am                                   1
Hewlett Packard Co.          Mr. Stephen Holmstead   1
Hitachi Micro Systems, Inc.                                    1
Hitachi Cable Manchester,Inc                                   1
Honda Connectors                                               1
IBM Corp.                    Mr. George Penokie      1
Iomega Corp.                                                   1
KnowledgeTek, Inc.           Mr. Dennis Moore        1
Linfinity Micro              Mr. Dean Wallace        1
Maxtor Corp.                 Mr. Pete McLean         1
Methode Electronics, Inc.                                      1
Molex Inc.                   Mr. Jay Neer            1
[...]

                                                    29  0   0 20 = 49

     8.18 SCSI Parallel Interface - 2 (SPI-2) {Project 1142-D} [Ham]

Bill reported on the working group meetings covering SPI-2, minutes
of which can be found in 96-157 and 96-166.  Bill described
configuration considerations and answered questions from the floor.
The configurations cover several different combinations of total
length and spacing between devices.  Bill described work on a new
definition for the drivers being undertaken by TI and Adaptec.  He
expressed the belief that the LVD contents are technically complete.

The committee held a lengthy discussion of the scope of SPI-2.  The
two opposing concepts were, a single SPI definition that supersedes
all previous definitions vs. a delta document covering only LVD.
Gary Stephens moved that the operating SPI-2 project scope be
clarified to show that SPI-2 must supersede SPI and include SPI, Fast-
20, Fast-40, Fast-80, and LVD.  Steve Heil seconded the motion.

Gene Milligan moved to amend the motion to add a requirement that
X3T10 produce an additional standard covering just LVD.  The motion
to amend to failed for lack of second.

Gene Milligan moved to amend the motion such that SPI-2 does not
automatically stop sales of SPI, i.e. SPI-2 would not supersede SPI.
Ed Gardner seconded the motion.  The motion to amend passed
21:4:2:22=49.

As amended, it was moved that the operating SPI-2 project scope be
clarified to show that SPI-2 must include SPI, Fast-20, Fast-40, Fast-
80, and LVD.  The motion passed 25:4:1:19=49.

The committee discussed the relation of the proposed SPI-2 scope to
SCSI-2.  The opposing points of view were; that the SPI references to
SCSI-2 are moved to the new document unchanged vs. pulling SCSI-2
text into the SPI-2 document.

Ed Gardner moved that the SPI-2 technical editor be directed to
eliminate all references to SCSI-2 from SPI-2 by incorporating the
referenced material into SPI-2 as deemed appropriate.  Bill Ham
seconded the motion.  The motion passed 20:5:1:23=49.  Bob Snively
stated that his no vote is based on the belief that the requirement
made unnecessary work for the SPI-2 technical editor.

John Lohmeyer moved that the inclusion of Fast-80 in SPI-2 scope be
reconsidered and removed from the required contents of SPI-2.  Ed
Gardner seconded the motion to reconsider.  The motion to reconsider
passed 23:5:1:20=49.

As a result of all this moving, the operating scope of SPI-2 will be
SPI, Fast-20, Fast-40, and LVD.  Any references to SCSI-2 material in
SPI will be eliminated by including the appropriate material directly
in SPI-2.  Thus SPI-2 will become a complete definition of the SCSI
physical layer.

     8.19 SCSI Enhanced Parallel Interface (EPI) Technical Report
{Project
          1143-D} [Ham]

Bill reported no progress on EPI this time.  Questions were raised
about whether arbitration fairness will be placed in EPI.  The belief
was expressed that arbitration fairness will be included in EPI.

     8.20 SCSI Fibre Channel Protocol - 2 (FCP-2) {Project 1144-D}
          [Snively]

     Bob reported no progress on FCP-2 and indicated that no progress
will be made until summer.

     8.21 Boot Considerations Technical Report {Project 1154-DT}
 [Penman]

Larry reported that the boot consideration information has been
edited into the correct technical report format, based on previous
GPP work.  Larry Lamers moved that X3T10 approve a payment of $300 to
TerrI Heinzman for editing the boot considerations information into
technical report format.  Bill Dallas seconded the motion.  The
motion passed unanimously.

     8.22 SCSI-3 Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2) {Project 1155-D}
          [Johansson]

Peter reported on the various IEEE 1394-related projects and their
relationship to SBP-2.

     8.23 SCSI Architecture Model - 2 (SAM-2) {Project 1157-D [Monia]

     Charles described work on a list of changes for SAM-2 conducted
at the SCSI Working Group meeting (minutes available in 96-167).
Charles stated his plans to have a first draft SAM-2 ready for the
next meeting.

     8.24 SPI Amendment (SPIAmnd) {Project 0855-D} [Johansson/Lamers}

     Larry reported no progress on developing the SPI amendment.

     8.25 SCC-2 Study Group [Penokie]

George reported on the activities of the SCC-2 Working Group meeting
and meeting plans.  Minutes of the SCC-2 Working Group meeting can be
found in 96-165.

     8.26 SCSI-3 Enclosure Commands (SES) [Snively]

Bob reported SES revision 4.0 has been prepared.  OMC has approved
the project proposal and the X3 letter ballot is in progress.  Bob is
working on revision 5.0 for the next mailing.  Revision 5 will
contain support for sub-enclosures based on a flat addressing scheme,
will be reformatted into single columns, and will contain spelling
and grammar corrections.  Bob requested a letter ballot for first
public review as soon as possible.

9.   Old Business

     9.1  Results of SPC Letter Ballot (96-012)

Ralph reported that committee action cannot be taken at this time due
to insufficient progress in resolving the letter ballot comments and
numerous comments resulting from the editorial review meetings
requested by one letter ballot comment.

10.  New Business

     10.1 Actions on Working Group Recommendations

          10.1.1    High Availability Project Proposal (96-151r1)
[Hagerman]

Larry presented a project proposal for a High Availability Technical
Report  (96-151r1).  Charles Monia moved that the project proposal be
forwarded for further processing by X3.  Ken Hallam seconded the
motion.  The motion passed 26:0:0:23=49.  John took an action item to
forward the project proposal for a High Availability Technical Report
(96-151r1) to X3 for further processing.

          10.1.2    SPI Amendment (96-130) [Johansson]

It was agreed that no plenary action is necessary on the SPI
amendment at this time.

          10.1.3    SPI-2 Clarification of When Parity is Valid
(96-162r0)
               [Penokie]

George described the addition of "at the receiver" to a sentence in
SPI that clarifies conditions under which the statement applies.
George Penokie moved that 96-162r0 be approved for inclusion in the
SPI amendment.  Gene Milligan seconded the motion.  During the
discussion, Gene asked for and received agreement that "at the
receiver" be changed to the "at the receiving device".  The motion
passed 26:0.

          10.1.4    Programmable Capacity Revisited (96-171r0) [Houlder]

Gene Milligan presented a proposal to change the handling of number
of blocks equal to zero value in the mode page header.  Gene Milligan
moved that the proposal be adopted for inclusion in SPC as approved
by the Working Group.  Larry Lamers seconded the motion.  The motion
passed 25:0.  Ralph and Larry noted that no electronic copy of the
proposal has been received.

          10.1.5    SBC Commands [Milligan]

Gene Milligan moved that the plenary accept the SCSI Working Group
recommendation that the SEEK, REZERO UNIT, and all SEARCH DATA XXX
commands be made obsolete in the SBC.  George Penokie seconded the
motion.  The motion passed 26:0.

          10.1.6    SCC-2 Project Proposal
George presented a project proposal for SCC-2 (96-152r0).  Ron
Roberts moved that the project proposal be forwarded for further
processing by X3.  George Penokie seconded the motion.  The motion
passed 26:0:0:23=49.  John took an action item to forward the SCC-2
Project Proposal (96-152r0) to X3 for further processing.

     10.2 Electronic Notification (95-146r1) [Lohmeyer]

John presented the electronic notification and voting document
distributed in the last mailing.  Pete McLean noted that "at least"
should be used in place of hard-coded notification periods.  It was
noted that the BBS phone number is incorrect in the current draft.
Other minor grammar errors were noted.  It was noted that meeting
notifications should use at least the technical reflector.  It was
also noted that jeopardy notification should be discussed in the
revised proposal.

John Lohmeyer moved that X3T10 adopt 95-146r2 (r1 as revised) as the
electronic operating procedures for the committee.  Pete McLean
seconded the motion.  The motion passed 25:0:0:24=49.

11.  ISO

     11.1 ISO Report [Milligan]

Gene Milligan, the X3T10 International Representative, gave a brief
oral report and provided the following electronic report:

                           ISO Report 5/96

As noted in the last meeting the FCP NWI ballot N3702 results still
have not been received.  However IR96008 dated 96/04/01 was submitted
with the following recommended vote: The U.S. member body votes YES
on ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25 N TBD CD TBD FCP Revision 10 with a comment
that the text for the DIS be based upon Revision 12 rather than 10.
The principal differences between Revision 10 and 12 are:
     1) Task Management Response changes.
     2) Change to Write XFER_RDY disabled in clause 6.2.6.13.
     3) Changes to clause 7.4.4,.5.
     4) Changes to clause 6.2.5.
     5) Changes to clause 6.3.
     6) Definition of Tag in clause 3.1.28.
     7) Miscellaneous editorial changes

IR96003 dated 96/03/20 was submitted with the following recommended
vote: The U.S. member body votes YES with comments on ISO/IEC JTC
1/SC 25 N 262 CD xxxx-9 SPI Revision 15A. The comment notes defects
in Annexes B and D along with editorial changes to the drafting
standard and the RESELECT requirement. The U.S. technical experts
will draft proposed change pages for these defects and submit them to
the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25/WG 4 Secretariat for discussion and
resolution at the June meeting.

IR96005 dated 96/04/01 was submitted with the following recommended
vote: The U.S. member body votes YES with comments on ISO/IEC JTC
1/SC 25 N 263 CD xxxx-10 SBP Revision 19. The comments request that
the text for the DIS be based upon Revision 22 rather than Revision
19. A copy of Revision 22 is attached for discussion and resolution
at the June SC 25/WG 4 meeting. The principal changes from Revision
19 to Revision 22 are outlined below:
     1. Forward and Introductions were re-written for clarification.
Editorial changes only.
     2. Clauses 1 through 9 - editorial changes and changes
pertaining to the incorporation of the  ISOCHRONOUS Transfer commands
and protocol.
     3. Clause 10 has been re-written to include the isochronous
capability into the document. These     changes are reflected in most
of the sub-clauses of the document.
     4. Annex A and B now contain informative data for isochronous
transfers.
     5. Annex C now contains configuration ROM information. ROM data
has been modified to include  isochronous configuration data.
     6. All other annexes have deleted from previous revisions.

IR96006 dated 96/04/01 was submitted with the following recommended
vote: The U.S. member body votes YES on ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25 N 266 CD
NNNN-1 SAM Revision 18.

IR96007 dated 96/04/01 was submitted with the following recommended
vote: The U.S. member body votes YES on ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25 N 267 CD
NNNN-Z SCC Revision 6.

International standards IS11518-2 HIPPI-FP; IS11518-3 HIPPI-LE; and
IS11518-6 HIPPI-SC have been published.

1N3864 dated 96/02/05 is the minutes of the IEC/TC100 Multimedia
Systems & Equipment committee. An interesting item in the minutes of
their November 1995 meeting are new work items for Digital Storage
(hard disk arrays) and for Digital Interfaces.

1N3854 dated 96/01/16 was distributed with the Proposed cooperative
agreement with ISO/TC184 which addresses Industrial Automation.

1N3813 95/12/07 Terms of Reference JTC1 Re-engineering addresses a
very active topic within JTC 1.

An updated list of ISO documents is attached to this report with new
documents for the dates covered marked by an *:

   DOC_NO     ORIG_DATE   DESCRIPTION
  *1N3450     95/11/01    Doc register N3401-3450
  *1N3500     95/11/01    Doc register N3451-3500
  *1N3550     95/11/01    Doc register N3501-3550
  *1N3600     95/11/01    Doc register N3551-3600
  *1N3650     95/11/01    Doc register N3601-3650
  *1N3750     95/11/01    Doc register N3701-3750
   WG4N650    95/11/03    Liaison proposal on keyboards from SC18/WG9
   WG4N651    95/11/07    List of NWI ballots
   IR95016    95/11/27    Camera Ready Copy of 9316-1 SCSI-2
   IR95017    95/11/27    Replacement of SPI with Rev 15a for CD LB
   Barra      95/11/8     Req for rec votes on NWIs SCC; Fast-20; SAM;
                          SBP; SPI; and FCP due 12/8 for JTC1 1/19/96
  *1N3813     95/12/07    Terms of Reference JTC1 Re-engineering
  *1N3834     95/12/12    NWI Keyboards for SC 18 Liaison with SC25/WG4
   IR95018    95/12/18    Conversion of EIA Specifications to Anderson
  *IS11518-2  96/00/00    HIPPI-FP
  *IS11518-3  96/00/00    HIPPI-LE
  *IS11518-6  96/00/00    HIPPI-SC
  *JTC1N3862  96/01/15    NWI Proposal SCSI Specs for OMC Reader/Writer
  *1N3854     96/01/16    Proposed cooperative agreement with ISO/TC184
                          Industrial Automation
  *1N3864     96/02/05    Minutes of IEC/TC100 Multimedia Systems & Eq.
  *1N3939     96/02/14    SC26 Report
   IR96001    96/02/15    Letter to Vecchis with EIA docs for IEC docs
  *SC25N280   96/02/25    Registration form & info for June SC 25 meet
   IR96002    96/02/27    Recommended vote NWI N 3862 SCSI OMC
  *1N3992     96/02/27    US Contribution on Re-engineering
  *1N4011     96/03/04    JTC 1 Meeting Calendar
  *IR96003    96/03/20    Recommended Vote SPI Yes with Comments
  *IR96004    96/03/22    Sending CD9314-13, 20, 21, 26, & 4 to Pattay
  *IR96005    96/04/01    Recommended Vote SBP Yes with Comments
  *IR96006    96/04/01    Recommended Vote SAM Yes
  *IR96007    96/04/01    Recommended Vote SCC Yes
  *IR96008    96/04/01    Recommended YES FCP Rev 10
  *IR96009    96/04/03    Recommended YES FDDI SMT-2-CS
  *IR96010    96/04/03    Recommended YES FDDI SMT-2-IS
  *IR96011    96/04/03    Recommended YES FDDI SMT-2-PS
  *IR96011    96/04/03    Vote on N268 CD9314-29 FDDI SMT-2-PS
  *IR96009    96/04/04    Vote on N268 CD9314-27 FDDI SMT-2-CS
  *IR96010    96/04/04    Vote on N268 CD9314-28 FDDI SMT-2-IS
  *Pattay     96/04/12    Authorize printing of IS11518-2, -3, -6 HIPPI
  *WG4N653    96/04/15    Draft WG3 Liaison Letter to IEC concerns CAT6
   X3/902298  None        SC25 TAG's editorial change to area of work

IR96003 dated 96/03/20 was submitted with the following recommended
vote: The U.S. member body votes YES with comments on ISO/IEC JTC
1/SC 25 N 262 CD xxxx-9 SPI Revision 15A. The comment notes defects
in Annexes B and D along with editorial changes to the drafting
standard and the RESELECT requirement. The U.S. technical experts
will draft proposed change pages for these defects and submit them to
the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 25/WG 4 Secretariat for discussion and
resolution at the June meeting.

George Penokie moved that X3T10 directs its chair and IR send a
letter to the JTC-1 TAG expressing concerns about the scope and
activities of IEC/TC100.  Roger Cummings seconded the motion.  During
discussion of the motion, it was noted that the IEC/TC100 storage
array activities represented one specific subject of concern.  It was
also noted that X3T10 members with X3 representatives should contact
their X3 representatives regarding this issue.  The motion passed
24:0.  Gene and John took an action item to send a letter to the JTC-
1 TAG expressing concerns about the scope and activities of
IEC/TC100.

     11.2 Instructions to Delegation to SC 25/WG 4

George raised a question about how SCC revision 6a will be handled at
ISO.  Larry said that SCC will run into the same problems at ISO that
it has encountered at ANSI.  Therefore, nothing needs to be done
about 6a at this time.

     11.3 SSA ISO/IEC NWIs

Larry stated that no contributions are necessary for NWIs.

     11.4 SSA ISO/IEC CD Contributions

Larry stated that no CD contributions need to be processed at this
time.

12.  Liaison Reports

     12.1 X3T11 Liaison Report [Cummings]

Roger Cummings, X3T11 Chair, made an oral report to the committee and
provided the following electronic report:

              X3T11 LIAISON REPORT to X3T10 & X3T12

X3T11 met on Thursday April 11, 1996 with 79 people in attendance.
CNT lost membership for failure to attend meetings, Madison Cable
lost membership because of their acquisition by AMP, and Computing
Devices International lost membership because of failure to pay fees
in a timely manner.  Amphenol, DPT, Honeywell, Orca Systems and
Silicon Systems were added as new member organizations.  The
membership of X3T11 is now 64 organizations.

The results of two X3T11 LBs which closed on 3/29/96 were announced:

1)   Forwarding a working dpANS, for the HIPPI-ATM project, for
further processing including an OMC review and a first Public Review
passed with F51-O00-DNV10.

2)   Forwarding a working dpANS, for the Revised HIPPI-SC project,
for further processing including an OMC review and a first Public
Review passed with F46-O00-DNV15.

It was reported that the FC Arbitrated Loop draft, Revision 4.5, has
recently been approved for publication as X3.272-1996.

A request to reaffirm X3.183-1991 (HIPPI-PH) was forwarded for
further processing by F44-O00-DNV20

Two Project Proposals, on HIPPI-6400-PH (the first project for the
new generation of HIPPI standards) and HIPPI-MP, were approved for
further processing, each by F46-O00-DNV18.

The Jitter Study group is still meeting monthly, and there has been
an attendance of approximately 25 people at each of last two
meetings. A tolerance mask and a set of test methods have been
proposed, but issues with the eye mask still remain.  Interim
meetings in Dallas (5/10) and Boise (7/19) were authorized.

A dpANS for the SBCON project (Rev 2.2) was forwarded for a first
Public Review, and the responses to the X3T11 Letter Ballot comments
were approved, by F46-O00-DNV18

No X3T11 Letter Ballots were authorized.

Public Reviews ending on May 14, 1996 have been announced for the 10
Bit Interface (TR-18), FC-LE (X3.287), FC-GS (X3.288), FC-FG
(X3.289), IPI-3TR (X3.290) and IPI-3DR (X3.291) projects.

The next meeting of X3T11 is being hosted by Los Alamos National Lab
on WEDNESDAY 6/12/96 at La Fonda Hotel, 100 E. San Francisco, Santa
Fe, NM 87501, The phone number for the hotel is(505)982-5511, the
rate is $105 (single or double), the group name is X3T11-Los Alamos
and the cutoff date  is 5/10/96.

     12.2 X3T13 Liaison Report [Milligan]

Gene Milligan, the acting chairman for X3T13, gave an oral report and
provided the following electronic report:

                          X3T13 May Report

X3T13 held a joint ad hoc meeting with the MMC ad hoc Wednesday April
24, 1996. The following documents were distributed:
     Proposal for X3T13 1153D ATA/ATAPI-4 [McLean]
     Strong Command Overlap and Command Queuing [McLean] (96D104r3)
     Two Giga-Byte Barrier [Stevens] (D96127R2)
     Vendor Specific & Optional Command Zero Budgeting [Evans]
     (D96125r2)
     SMART Proposal document (96131r0)
     ATA Protected Area Proposal [Colegrove] (D96137)

An alternative but not recommended method of handling commands to
missing devices was eliminated in ATA/ATAPI-4.

ATA-2 - Project 0948D accommodation of the ANSI editor's comments has
been completed and the document is being returned to X3 for further
processing.

The joint ad hoc reviewed commands in SFF 8020 as compared to MMC.
For those portions of SFF 8020 covered by ATA/ATAPI -4, MMC
participants were requested to review ATA/ATAPI-4 for correctness.
The ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE command and ATA READ command (four flavors) -
SFF 8020 behavior will be defined.

SFF 8020 specifies 12 or 16 byte packets - padding algorithm need to
be defined either in MMC or ATA/ATAPI-4 or perhaps in both.

An annex was recommended to be added to MMC to profile the
recommended ATAPI command implementation. The ad hoc also recommended
that a paragraph be added to MMC defining SFF 8020 usage of the
command descriptor block.

The ad hoc discussed the tradeoffs of the dual methods of handling
SMART, security, and power management. The recommended implementation
for ATAPI devices is to use packet commands for SMART rather than the
ATA version and  that it be done only one way.

The group recommended to expand words 82 and 83 to define the command
set supported with  an annex added in ATA/ATAPI-4 to list the
document wherein the various command sets reside.

Relative to SAM, no changes were recommended for MMC. Upon completing
the review of MMC treatment of ATAPI the ad hoc concluded that no new
commands were needed.

The ad hoc requested that the X3T13 acting chair contact  Microsoft
regarding Media Status Notification (MSN). Information concerning MSN
can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/storage1.htm.

Finally the joint ad hoc recommended a joint ad hoc meeting in June
96.

The X3T13 ad hoc continued the meeting through Thursday 25 April. The
review of ATA/ATAPI-4 - Project 1153D proposed draft identified an
issue in the documentation of non-overlapped PACKET command PIO data
in to host. on the handling of the 01h case when the device generates
DRQ and INTRQ.  A change was recommended to the flow chart to show
the correct protocol.  An issue remains for both ATA and ATAPI
devices on whether INTRQ and DRQ change at the same time? This issue
will be  put on the next agenda.  Devices that delay generating
interrupt after setting DRQ may cause data corruption on fast
processors.

The ad hoc completed a review of Strong Command Overlap and Command
Queuing  (96D104r3). The queue depth needs to be added to the
IDENTIFY DEVICE information. It was recommended that a mechanism to
do split DMA transfers for Audio Video be added for packet commands
but not for ATA commands. A recommendation was also made to encode
the error register to allow reporting additional error conditions on
the new queued command types. The consensus was to encode the upper
four bits.

The group did not reach consensus on how to handle cache flush
function complete failures which can occur primarily due to writes
inhibited for an extended period of time with shock sensing combined
with turbulence.

Curtis Stevens of Phoenix is soliciting proposals on how to handle
the problem telling which host bus adapter passed on an interrupt.

It was suggested that silicon providers look at their present
implementations and see if the 400 nS delay issue can now be removed
since the timing is difficult to handle in the host software drivers.

Mark Evans led a review Vendor Specific & Optional Command Zero
Budgeting [Evans] (D96125r2)

Dan Colegrove presented a proposal for ATA protected areas. This
method is currently in use by at least one system manufacturer.
Participants were requested to digest the proposal which will be
considered for ATA/ATAPI-4 at the next meeting.

The ad hoc meetings were followed by the X3T13 plenary on Friday 26
April. The plenary unanimously approved the recommendations of the ad
hoc.

The plenary voted 17:2:6 to withdraw the ATAPI Project 1120D. The  NO
votes were to save the project number in anticipation a new project
would be needed.

The ATA-3 Letter Ballot  passed by X3T10 46:0:0:5.  The comment
resolution, D96112r0, were accepted along with the editorial changes
in D96129r0 by a vote of 20:0:5.

The reflector name has been turned on as `X3T13 at dt.wdc.com'.

The plenary approved resolution of letter ballot comments, if any, on
the passing letter ballots for the following X3T13 procedures:
Operations Policies and Procedures Tailored to X3T13; Documentation
Procedures; X3T13 Project Document Format Guideline; Electronic
Notification Procedure; Procedure for Funding Technical Editors.

The appointment of the X3T13 chair is on the July agenda for OMC.

X3T13 approved a new Project Proposal for Technical Report for
Enhanced BIOS Disk Drive Technical Report by a vote of 20:0:0:7.

The next plenary meeting of X3T13 will be August 2, 1996 in the San
Jose area hosted by Quantum.

The subsequent plenary meeting of X3T13 will be October 25, 1996 in
Waikiki, Hawaii hosted by Quantum at the Sheraton Hotel.

Plenary meetings are also planned for:
January 24, 1997;   April 25, 1997;     July 31, 1997; October 24,
1997

Working Group Meetings are planned for:
X3T13 Working Group on May 22-24, 1996 at the Biltmore Hotel in San
Jose, CA.
X3T13 Working Group on June 19-21, 1996 at Western Digital, in
Irvine, CA
X3T13 Working Group on July 31-August 1, 1996 in Milpitas, CA.
X3T13 Working Group on August 21-23, 1996 in Milpitas, CA.
X3T13 Working Group on September 25-27, 1996 at Western Digital in
Irvine, CA.
X3T13 Working Group on October 23-24, 1996 at the Sheraton Hotel in
Waikiki, Hawaii.
X3T13 Working Group on November 13-15, 1996 at Western Digital in
Irvine, CA.
X3T13 Working Group on January 22-23, 1997 hosted by Quantum.
X3T13 Working Group on February 19-21, 1997 hosted by Quantum.
X3T13 Working Group on March 19-21, 1997 hosted by Western Digital.
X3T13 Working Group on April 23-24, 1997 hosted by Quantum.
X3T13 Working Group on May 21-23, 1997 hosted by Quantum

          12.2.1    MMC-2 and/or Additional CD-ROM Command Set Project
               (X3T13/96-009) [Milligan]

John described a letter that he received from Gene regarding work on
MMC commands.  The letter reported agreement at X3T13 that MMC work
should be done in one committee.  X3T13 further voted 12:2:5 that the
MMC work should be conducted under X3T10.  The committee discussed
the contents of a response letter from X3T10 to X3T13.

Gene Milligan moved that John write a letter accepting the concepts
expressed in the X3T13/96-009 letter, particularly the concept of
subsetting command sets for ATAPI uses, and noting that X3T10 is
committed to working with X3T13, IEEE, and other industry
organizations.  Bob Snively seconded the motion.  The motion passed
23:0.  John took an action item to write a letter responding to
X3T13/96-009 as described by the committee motion.

     12.3 SFF Industry Group [Allan]

No report.

     12.4 IEEE 1394 [Johansson]

Peter reported on the formation of three new groups 1349.1, 1349.2,
and 1349.3.

     12.5 IEEE P1285 Status

John received the following P1285 report via email:

For the last several months the P1285 BRC has been meeting to resolve
issues brought up by the balloting process. Most issues have been
resolved, and a new version of the P1285 document is in process. When
it is ready, it will be posted on the web.

Although P1285 has been meeting with the P1596 committee on a semi-
regular basis to get feedback on the changes that are being made to
the document, the P1285 working group, itself, has not met for some
time.

     12.6 PCMCIA Report []

No report.

     12.7 SCSI Trade Association (STA) [Jones]

Skip reported on activities of STA.  STA has been "doing" numerous
trade shows, including ICC shows.  STA also is making seminar
presentations across the country.  Skip described STA marketing
activities at the Storage Track `96 and Fall Comdex trade shows.
Skip announced the STA web site, www.scsita.com.  Skip described new
releases, articles, and other publications being written by STA.

Skip described the efforts to increase communications between STA and
X3T10.  He noted a 5 p.m. Wednesday meeting scheduled during the July
meeting week.

13.  Review of Action Items

138) Larry Lamers will prepare a SPI amendment document for review
     and consideration at the May meeting.
146) John Lohmeyer will forward the SCC-2 Project Proposal (96-152r0)
     to X3 for further processing.
147) John Lohmeyer will forward the project proposal for a High
     Availability Technical Report  (96-151r1) to X3 for further
     processing
148) John Lohmeyer will add an agenda item to review the mandatory
     status of the SBC READ(6) and other commands to the July SCSI
     Working Group agenda.
149) Gene Milligan and John Lohmeyer will send a letter to the JTC-1
     TAG expressing concerns about the scope and activities of
     IEC/TC100.
150) John Lohmeyer will write a letter responding to X3T13/96-009
     letter as described by the committee motion.
151) John Lohmeyer will add an agenda item to review the MMC-2
     project proposal to the Plenary agenda.

14.  Meeting Schedule

The next plenary meeting of X3T10 will be July 18, 1996, in Colorado
Springs, CO at the Red Lion Hotel (719-576-8900), hosted by Symbios
Logic Inc.  The meeting will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday.

The meeting list for the next plenary week is:

July `96 Meeting Map
 (5/9/96 Version)

Monday 7/15    8   9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
                   +===========================================+
                 +-+===============================+===========+
                 +---------------------+-----------+-------+
                                       | Serial Issues     |     (20)
                                       +-------------------+

Tuesday 7/16       9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
                   +===========================================+
                   +===================================+=======+
                   +===============+===============+===+
                   +===============+---------------+
                 +-+===============+---------------+
                 | DMTF Mass Storage WG            |             (20)
                 +---------------------------------+

Wednesday 7/17     9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
                   +===============================+-------+
                   +===============================+---+---+
                   +===================================+
                   +-----------------------------------+-----------+
                   | RAB                                           |(20)

Thursday 7/18      9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
                   +---------------+
                   +---------------+===========================+
                   +===============+===========================+
                 +-+===============+---------------+
                 | STA                             |             (30)
                 +---------------------------------+

Friday 7/19    8   9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5

               +=======================+
               | SPC Review            |                         (15)
               +=======================+

    Meetings marked with == are X3T10-authorized meetings.
    Meetings marked with -- are authorized by other groups and may
    change without notice.

Meeting Map Abbreviation Key:
CAM:              Common Access Method
CAM-3:            Next generation CAM for SCSI-3
EPI:              SCSI Enhanced Parallel Interface (Technical Report)
DMTF              Desktop Management Task Force (not an X3 activity)
Fast-20:          Synchronous Data Transfer at 20 Megatransfers/second
FC-AL:            Fibre Channel - Arbitrated Loop (an X3T11 project)
FCLC:             Fibre Channel Loop Community (not an X3 activity)
I/F:              Interface
High Avail.:      High Availability
LB:               Letter Ballot
MMC:              SCSI-3 Multimedia Commands (CD-ROM)
PH:               Physical (Connectors, Cables, Transceivers, etc.)
Plenary:          Full Committee Meeting
RAB:              RAID Advisory Board (not an X3 activity)
RAID:             Redundant Array of Independent Devices
SBC:              SCSI-3 Block Commands
SBP:              SCSI-3 Serial Bus Protocol
SCC:              SCSI-3 Controller Commands (RAID)
SCSI:             Small Computer System Interface
SPC:              SCSI-3 Primary Commands
STA:              SCSI Trade Association (not an X3 activity)
STATech:          STA Technical Meeting (joint meeting with X3T10)
SFF:              SFF Industry Group (not an X3 activity)
SG:               Study Group
SMC:              SCSI-3 Medium Changer Commands
SPI-2:            Second Generation SCSI-3 Parallel Interface
SSA:              Serial Storage Interface
SSC:              SCSI-3 Stream Commands (includes Tape)
SSWGs:            Specific-Subject Working Groups
VHDCI             Very High Density Cabled Interconnect
WG:               Working Group (same as Ad Hoc Group)
X3T10:            Lower Level Interfaces Technical Committee
X3T10.1:          SSA Task Group of X3T10

Several other X3T10 events are also planned:

Event                Day/Date             Location/contact
 -------------------- -------------------- ----------------------------
SPI-2 Working Group  Thur-Fri 6/6-7/96    Colo Spgs, CO / Lohmeyer
MMC Working Group    Mon-Wed 6/17-19/96   Irvine, CA / Western Digital
SPI-2 Working Group  Tue-Wed 8/13-14/96   Redwood City, CA / STA

For more information about X3T10 activities, please contact the
following people:

Activity                     Contact         Telephone/Email
 ---------------------------- --------------- ------------------------
 ------
BOOT TR                      Duncan Penman   (408) 730-2565
                                             penman at netcom.com
CAM-3                        Bill Dallas     (603) 881-2508
                                             dallas at wasted.enet.dec.com
EPI & SPI-2                  Bill Ham        (508) 841-2629
                                             ham at subsys.enet.dec.com
FCP & FCP-2                  Robert Snively  (415) 336-5332
                                             Bob.Snively at eng.sun.com
GPP                          Gary Stephens   (602) 321-1725
                                             6363897 at mcimail.com
SAM                          Charles Monia   (508) 841-6757
                                             monia at starch.enet.dec.com
SBC                          Gene Milligan   (405) 324-3070
                                             gene_milligan at notes.
                                             seagate.com
SBP and MMC                  Ron Roberts     (916) 677-5714
                                             rkroberts at aol.com
SBP-2                        Peter Johansson (510) 531-5472
                                             pjohansson at aol.com
SGC                          Thomas Tewell   (415) 459-7978
                                             thomas.tewell@
                                             seqadvtech.com
SIP, SCC                     George Penokie  (507) 253-5208
                                             gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
SMC                          Erich Oetting   (303) 673-2178
                                             Erich_Oetting@
                                             Stortek.com
SPC                          Ralph Weber     (603) 881-1497
                                             roweber at acm.org
SSA-PH1,-PH2,-TL1,-TL2       Larry Lamers    (408) 957-7817
                                             ljlamers at aol.com
SSA-S2P & -S3P               John Scheible   (512) 823-8208
                                             Scheible at vnet.ibm.com
SSC                          Edward Lappin   (303) 447-7718
                                             tedl at exabyte.com
Other Activities             John Lohmeyer   (719) 533-7560
                                             john.lohmeyer at symbios.com

The long-term X3T10 meeting week schedule is:

Date              Location                   Host/Comments
 ----------------  -------------------------  -------------------
Jan  8-12, 1996   Dallas, TX                 Quantum
Mar 11-15, 1996   Newport Beach, CA          QLogic
May  6-10, 1996   Ft. Lauderdale, FL         Adaptec
Jul 15-19, 1996   Colorado Springs, CO       Symbios Logic
Sep  9-13, 1996   Natick, MA (near Boston)   Digital
Nov  4- 8, 1996   Palm Springs, CA           Western Digital
Jan  6-10, 1997   Dallas, TX (?)             Quantum
Mar 10-14, 1997   San Diego, CA              QLogic
May  5-9,  1997   Natick, MA (near Boston)   Digital
Jul 14-18, 1997   Colorado Springs, CO       Symbios Logic
Sep  8-12, 1997   Nashua, NH                 Unitrode
Nov  3-7,  1997   Palm Springs, CA           Western Digital (?)
Jan  5-9,  1998
Mar  9-13, 1998
May  4-8,  1998
Jul 13-17, 1998
Sep 14-18, 1998
Nov  9-13, 1998

     14.1 Authorization of Working Group Meetings

John noted that the working group meetings are required to operate
under the same voting procedures as does X3T10 (that is, one vote per
organization) and the results of a working group are not binding on
the parent committee.  This later requirement is why we have
traditionally only used non-binding straw polls in working group
meetings.  Any issue where the voting rules would make a difference
should be deferred to the plenary group.  Nonetheless, task groups
and ad hoc groups should strive to achieve consensus prior to
bringing issues to X3T10.

Ron Roberts moved that X3T10 authorize the X3T10-related meetings and
events in the list above.  Peter Johansson seconded the motion.  The
motion passed 21:0.

Larry Lamers moved that 1998 X3T10 plenary week dates list above be
approved. John Lohmeyer seconded the motion.  The motion passed 21:0.

John requested that volunteers to host 1998 meetings contact him.

15.  Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 7:12 p.m. on Thursday May 9, 1996.
Meeting Attendees -- Enclosure (1)

         Name          S        Organization         Electronic Mail
Address
 ---------------------- -- -------------------------
 -------------------------
Mr. Norm Harris        P  Adaptec, Inc.
            nharris at eng.adaptec.com
Mr. Lawrence J. Lamers A  Adaptec, Inc.             ljlamers at aol.com
Mr. Edward Fong        P  Amdahl Corp.
             esf10 at amail.amdahl.com
Mr. George Preputnick  V  AMP, Inc.                 gpreputn at amp.com
Mr. Michael Wingard    P  Amphenol Interconnect     mikwingard at aol.com
Mr. Ron Roberts        A  Apple Computer            rkroberts at aol.com
Mr. Chris Nieves       O  Auspex Systems            cnieves at auspex.com
Mr. Douglas Wagner     O  Berg Electronics          jpxw76a at prodigy.com
Mr. Ian Morrell        P  Circuit Assembly Corp.    crctassmbl at aol.com
Mr. Edward Haske       P  CMD Technology            haske at cmd.com
Mr. Peter Johansson    P  Congruent Software, Inc.  pjohansson at aol.com
Mr. Douglas Calder     V  CTS Corp. UK
             dcalder.cts at highfield.
                                                    sprint.com
Mr. Louis Grantham     P  Dallas Semiconductor      grantham at dalsemi.com
Mr. Charles Monia      P  Digital Equipment Corp.   monia at shr.dec.com
Mr. William Dallas     A# Digital Equipment Corp.   dallas at wasted.enet.
                                                    dec.com
Mr. Douglas Hagerman   A# Digital Equipment Corp.   hagerman at starch.enet.
                                                    dec.com
Dr. William Ham        A# Digital Equipment Corp.   ham at subsys.enet.dec.
                                                    com
Mr. Roger Cummings     P  Distributed Processing
   cummings_roger at dpt.com
                          Tech.
Mr. Robert Reisch      P  Eastman Kodak Co.         reisch at kodak.com
Mr. I. Dal Allan       A  ENDL                      dal_allan at mcimail.com
Mr. Ralph O. Weber     P  ENDL Associate            roweber at acm.org
Mr. Edward Lappin      P  Exabyte Corp.             tedl at exabyte.com
Mr. Gary R. Stephens   P  FSI Consulting Services   6363897 at mcimail.com
Mr. Stephen Holmstead  P  Hewlett Packard Co.
      stephen at mail.boi.hp.com
Mr. J. R. Sims         A  Hewlett Packard Co.       robsims at depeche.lvld
                                                    .hp.com
Mr. George Penokie     P  IBM Corp.
                gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Mr. Dan Colegrove      A# IBM Corp.
                colegrove at vnet.ibm.com
Mr. Dennis Moore       P  KnowledgeTek, Inc.        dmoore at netcom.com
Mr. Dean Wallace       P  Linfinity Micro
          75671.3443 at compuserve.com
Mr. Robert Bellino     A# Madison Cable Corp.
      robert_bellino at madisonusa
                                                    .ccmail.compuserve.com

Mr. Pete McLean        P  Maxtor Corp.
             pete_mclean at maxtor.com
Mr. Steve D. Schueler  P  Methode Electronics, Inc.
Mr. Jay Neer           A  Molex Inc.                jneer at molex.com
Mr. Anthony E. Pione   P  Oak Technology, Inc.      AnthonyP at oaktech.com
Mr. Edward A. Gardner  P  Ophidian Designs          gardner at acm.org
Mr. Stephen F. Heil    P  Panasonic Technologies,
  sfh at research.panasonic
                          Inc                       .com
Dr. Akira James Miura  A  Panasonic Technologies,   miura at tadw.research.
                          Inc                       panasonic.com
Mr. David A. Pohm      A  Philips KMG               dapohm at aol.com
Mr. Skip Jones         P  QLogic Corp.              sk_jones at qlc.com
Mr. Mark Evans         A  Quantum Corp.             mevans at qntm.com
Mr. Gene Milligan      P  Seagate Technology        Gene_Milligan at notes.
                                                    seagate.com
Mr. Dave Guss          P  Silicon Systems, Inc.
    dave.guss at tus.ssi1.com
Mr. Daniel E. Moczarny V  Silicon Systems, Inc.     dan.moczarny at tus.ssi1
                                                    .com
Mr. Mike Yokoyama      O  Sony Electronics, Inc.    yokoyama at dss.sel.sony
                                                    .com
Mr. Harvey Waltersdorf V  Specialty Electronics
Mr. Robert N. Snively  P  Sun Microsystems Computer
bob.snively at eng.sun.com
                          Co
Mr. John Lohmeyer      P  Symbios Logic Inc.
       john.lohmeyer at symbios.
                                                    com
Mr. Pete Tobias        A  Tandem Computers
         tobias_pete at tandem.com
Mr. Tokuyuki Totani    P  Toshiba America           totani at ix.netcom.com
Mr. Paul D. Aloisi     P  Unitrode Integrated       Aloisi at uicc.com
                          Circuits
Mr. Francesco Liburdi  O  Wearnsi Hollingsworth     liburdfwh at aol.com

51 People Present

Status Key:  P    -  Principal
             A,A# -  Alternate
             O    -  Observer
             L    -  Liaison
             V    -  Visitor
John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--14400 baud