Linked Commands

Hallam, Ken MV KHallam at po2.mv.unisys.com
Sun Jun 23 10:44:00 PDT 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* "Hallam, Ken                 MV" <KHallam at po2.mv.unisys.com>
*

Regarding the recent traffic by Jim Coomes and Bob Snively: Are we truly
going to bring back Linked Commands? No one implemented them in SCSI-2 other
than one part of Unisys, (mapping BMC functions over to SCSI) as far as I
know. But now with the advent of a non-interlocked control path structure,
some folks argue it is the only way to accomplish some things they want to
do.

At first look, I tend to agree with Bob Snively in that a requirement for
parsing the Control field in the CDB at the Host Adapter level seems to blur
the architectural lines we set for SCSI-3. Yet this implicit requirement is
there in our stated support for legacy systems with SCSI-2. I have been
telling our people that Linked Command support is going away, but now it is
coming back?

Ken Hallam
Unisys
ken.hallam at mv.unisys.com