Comments on software write protect bit

George Penokie GOP at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.COM
Wed Jan 31 09:14:58 PST 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* "George Penokie" <GOP at RCHVMP3.VNET.IBM.COM>
*
Gerry,

I have recieved the following comments on your proposal 96-121r0 to
add a software write protect bit to a mode page for block device types.
I would like to see these comments reflected in the next version of the
proposal.

-Add in the ability to restrict the write protection to a defined
LBA range. (JD)
-Need to have an explicit list of commands that will return check
condition when SWP bit is set to one. The suggested list is as
follows:FORMAT UNIT, REASSIGN BLOCKS, WRITE (6)(10)(12), WRITE AND
VERIFY (6)(10)(12), WRITE SAME, WRITE LONG, COPY, and COPY AND
VERIFY. (CA)
-If there is another way to write protect a device (e.g. switch,
jumper, etc.) then what takes has priority; the SWP bit or the
switch? (DT)

Bye for now,