Soft Write Protect in SPC

DOUG.PIRIE at conner.com DOUG.PIRIE at conner.com
Thu Jan 25 21:16:55 PST 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* DOUG.PIRIE at conner.com
*
Gerry,

If we add a Soft Write Protect field in the SPC we could have three separate
documents which use this field. The SPC, SSC, and SMC could/would all have
SWP.  Potentially, a medium changer device would have to keep track of the
SWP bit to be in compliance with all three documents. The obvious question is
which document would have precedence?  What happens in a multi-initiator
situation and we have SWP support in three different pages?  What is the
state of the SWP bit after a media change or other Unit Attention condition?
What are the effects if the Mode Select cdb was sent with save pages set?

If we keep the Soft Write Protect field in any of the documents then I would
like to suggest a change in the additional sense code fields in SPC. If this
is not already done I would suggest adding a code for the Soft Write Protect,
such as, "27 01 - Write Protected, set by host".  The present code for write
protect could be changed to,"27 00 - Write Protected, set by physical switch".

Doug Pirie
Address: Doug.Pirie at conner.com