Minutes of X3T10 SCC Working Group Meeting -January 09, 1996

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cosmpdaero.ftcollinsco.ncr.com
Wed Jan 17 16:10:00 PST 1996


* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* <"Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at cosmpdaero.ftcollinsco.ncr.com>>

Accredited Standards Committee
X3, Information Processing Systems
                                                 Doc. No.: X3T10/96-113r0
                                                     Date: Jan 09, 1996
                                                  Project: 1047D
                                                Ref. Doc.:
                                                 Reply to: G. Penokie

To:       Membership of X3T10

From:     George Penokie

Subject:  Minutes of X3T10 SCC Working Group Meeting -January 09, 1996



AGENDA

1. Opening Remarks
2. Attendance and Membership
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Report on status of the SCC standard
5. Discussion of SCSI-3 fault tolerant controller configurations proposal
6. Action Items
7. Meeting Schedule
8. Adjournment

Results of Meeting

1.      Opening Remarks

George Penokie convened the meeting at 9:00 am, Tuesday, January 09, 1996.
He thanked Jim MaGrath of Quantum for hosting the meeting.

This is a joint meeting of the X3T10 SCSI Controller Commands working group
and the RAB Host Interface working group.  The purpose of the group is to
deal with interface issues related to using RAIDs.  The study group will
assess the issues and then formulate a strategy for dealing with them.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of the
attendance list was circulated for attendance and corrections.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by X3T10 and would be
conducted under the X3 rules.  Working group meetings take no final
actions, but prepare recommendations for approval by the X3T10 task group.
The voting rules for the meeting are those of the parent committee, X3T10.
These rules are:  one vote per company; and any participating company
member may vote.

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI BBS and the SCSI
Reflector and will be included in the next committee mailing.

2.      Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum
attendance requirements for X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are
open to any person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the
subjects being discussed.

RAID Study Group Meeting Attendees

Attendee          Company             Email Address
 ----------------  ------------------  -------------------------------
Tom Battle        Adaptec             tbattle at corp.adaptec.com
A. Taylor         Adaptec             ataylor at corp.adaptec.com
Bob Fish          Amdahl
Ed Haske          CMD
Steve Sicola      DEC
Paul Massiglia    DEC                 massiglia at genrd.enet.dec.com
Gary Albert       Fujitsu             galbert at intellistor.com
Nancy Cheng       Hitachi             m-cheng at hitachi.com
Bill Hutchinson   HP                  hutch at boi.hp.com
George Penokie    IBM                 gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Dan Strevey       Intellistor/Fujitsu dstrevey at intellistor.com
Wayne Kosters     I-Tech              wakosters at i-tech.com
Corky Ball        JMR Electronics
Rick Wagner       Micropolis          richard_wagner at microp.com
Herb Silverman    Peer Protocols      herb at cerf.net
Bob Snively       Sun Microsystems    bob.snively at sun.com
Rod DeKoning      Symbios             rod.dekoning at symbios.com
Joe Molina        Technology Forums   MCI MAIL: TFORUMS


3.       Approval of Agenda

The agenda developed at the meeting was approved.

4.      Report on status of the SCC standard

The SCC standard rev 6 has exited it's second public review without
comment and will move to X3 for approval.

5.      Discussion of SCSI-3 fault tolerant controller configurations
        proposal

Steve Sicola presented his proposal for fault tolerant controller
configurations. After his presentation a long discussion ensued about the
best solution to his problem.  The following solution was agreed to:

 -Create a new SCC service action that would report the world wide
identifier assigned to all volume sets the addressed SCC device is aware
of.
Note: Not all the volume sets the addressed SCC device is aware of need to
be configured by the addressed SCC device or have LUN_V values assigned by
the addressed SCC device.

 -Create a new SCC service action that would assign a LUN_V value to a
volume set identified by a world wide identifier.  A SCC device should only
allow volume sets that do not already have a LUN_V assigned to be assigned
the LUN_V.

6.      Action Items

a)Steve Sicola will prepare a revision of the SCSI-3 fault tolerant
controller configurations proposal.

7.      Meeting Schedule

The next meeting will be hosted by QLogic in San Diego at the Hyatt
Islandia Hotel on March 12 from 9:00AM to Noon.

8.      Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 12 noon.




More information about the T10 mailing list