Reserve and Release for printers and comm devices

tedl at exabyte.com tedl at exabyte.com
Mon Jan 15 07:43:25 PST 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* <tedl at Exabyte.COM>
          To:    SCSI Reflector
          From:  Ted Lappin
                 Exabyte
                 tedl at exabyte.com
                 (303) 417-7718

          When editing the SSC document, I discovered that the reserve
          and release commands were optional for printers and not
          mentioned for communications devices.

          I propose that reserve and release (ordinary, SCSI-2 style,
          not persistent and no extents) be mandatory for SCSI-3
          printers and communications devices.

          Both of these device models are part of the stream class of
          devices which have an implicit state based on previous
          commands.  To allow proper control of these devices in
          multi-initiator environments, reserve and release are
          required.  Therefore, I believe that these commands should
          be mandatory.

          Does anyone else have an opinion on this, particularly to
          the contrary?  I would appreciate input from you or anyone
          you know, particularly implementers of SCSI printer or
          communication devices.

          Thank you.