SCAM and boot devices

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cosmpdaero.ftcollinsco.ncr.com
Tue Feb 13 14:27:00 PST 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at cosmpdaero.ftcollinsco.ncr.com>
*

Eddie Williams wrote:
 ----------
>This only helps for disks.  What about tapes, CDs, printers, etc?  Writing
>to the wrong tape could cause some serious problems too.

I assume your point is that a system with multiple tape drives could get
confused about which drive is which.  The industry has always had a similar
problem in that operators don't always mount tapes on the correct tape
drive.  I maintain that the best solution is to use volume labels on tapes
too.  However, this gets done more often on mainframes than on PCs.

There is another effort going on in the industry that may help:  Globally
unique device identifications.  X3T10 recently added a Device Identification
Vital Product Data page to the SCSI-3 Primary Commands (SPC) draft standard
that allows SCSI devices (parallel or serial) to report their globally
unique identification(s).  This will permit the operating systems to
identify all of their peripheral devices after SCAM or a serial protocol
scrambles their physical addresses.

I expect that most peripheral devices will have globally-unique
identifications.  This is especially useful on larger systems that may have
redundant paths to I/O devices.

>Ed.Williams at ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM

It sure is nice to see ncr.com resurrected...

John
John Lohmeyer             E-Mail:  john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.         Voice:  719-573-3362
1635 Aeroplaza Dr.           Fax:  719-573-3037
Colo Spgs, CO 80916     SCSI BBS:  719-574-0424 300--14400 baud