Proposal for IEEE company_id based formats for FC-PH world-wide identifiers

Bob Snively bob.snively at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Dec 12 09:57:55 PST 1996

* bob.snively at Eng.Sun.COM (Bob Snively)
*

>From larryc at maxstrat.com Wed Dec 11 20:59:29 1996
>Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 20:49:12 PST
>Subject: RE: Proposal for IEEE company_id based formats for FC-PH world-wide identifiers
>To: scsi at symbios.com, Bob Snively <bob.snively at Eng>
>
>Bob,
>
>I believe the SPC/SPC-2 document needs to be changed
>to reflect the 128-bit IEEE registered extended format.
>
>Table 113 - Identifier type
>
>value		description
>4		The identifier field contains a FC-PH
>		128-bit Name_Identifier field as defined
>		in ..... In this case, the identifier length
>		shall be set to 16.

Larry,

Fortunately, the SCSI definition includes a length field.  As a
result, you can simply use length field and the identifier of 3
to specify that the format is FC-PH, but that the length is 16 bytes.
The FC-PH NAA then defines for you the precise format of those
bytes.

The length field is properly defined in the SPC document, but in
some parts of the document is mis-named "page length".

For reference, see SPC rev 11, page 125, table 109, byte 3.

Bob

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com