WORRIES ABOUT OPTIONAL READ(6) AND RESERVE(6)

Jeff Blaalid, CMD Technology, (714) 470-3155 BLAALID at cmd.com
Fri Aug 16 08:18:32 PDT 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* "Jeff Blaalid, CMD Technology, (714) 470-3155" <BLAALID at cmd.com>
*
    During problem investigations with our RAID product (not READ (6) related)
    it was observed that a heavy use of READ (6) still exists today.

    Just recently, both Digital Unix (V4.0) and Solaris (latest revision
    but don't remember), issue READ (6) commands when the block LBA and
    XFER size are within the 6 byte command's limits.

    Also both boot consoles used the READ (6) to initially load the
    operating systems.  They also used the READ (10) when necessary.

    So, since even the very latest OSs and Disk Controllers are using
    READ (6) most drive vendors will have to keep compatibility even
    if they are removed from the spec.

 | Jeffrey S. Blaalid       | CMD Technology, Inc. | Tel: (714) 470-3155  |
 | Dir, Digital Product Dev.| 1 Vanderbilt         |      (800) 426-3832  |
 | Email: blaalid at cmd.com   | Irvine, CA  92718    | Fax: (714) 455-9554  |