IEEE P1244 September Meeting

Jack Cole cole at arl.mil
Tue Aug 13 13:22:02 PDT 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* Jack Cole <cole at ARL.MIL>
*
>>Many of you will be at the Goddard conference next month, keep an eye
>>out for our paper on derived virtual devices if you're interested.
>>
>>                --Rod

Rod-

   The recent reflector discussion on "unique worldwide [tape] names" by
you, Lester Buck, Rich Wrenn, and Bob Baird was very enjoyable.

   As you said, many of us will be at the NASA/Goddard Conference, and
we look forward to the presentation of your paper on derived virtual
devices.

   In fact, the IEEE SSSWG meeting is being held in conjunction with the
NASA/Goddard meeting (see announcement attached), and there are two
areas of business for that meeting which may interest you and others on
these reflectors:

   1.  The revision and updating of the Reference Model, possibly lead
by Sam Coleman;

   2.  and the beginning of work on the Medium Changer Service Standard
(MCS), a complete, operating system independent software interface for
devices modeled on the SCSI medium changer command set, including, but
not limited to, tape and optical automated libraries.

   In addition, work is nearing completion on the PVR and PVL API
standards, thanks to heroic efforts, and that may interest you as well.

   In any case, I look forward to meeting you next month.

-Jack

  *--------------*-------------------------------------------*
  |        ARMY  |       Computing Technologies Branch       |
  |    RESEARCH  |    High Performance Computing Division    |
  |  LABORATORY  |   Advanced Simulation & High Performance  |
  |              |           Computing Directorate           |
  |   a DoD SRC  |             http://www.arl.mil            |
  *--------------*-------------------------------------------*
  | John L. Cole                  Internet> cole at arl.mil     |
  | US Army Research Laboratory      Voice> 1-(410)-278-9276 |
  | ATTN:  AMSRL-SC-C (Cole)           FAX> 1-(410)-278-5077 |
  | APG, MD 21005-5067             DSN/FTS> 298/939          |
   Chair, IEEE P1244 Storage System Standards Working Group
                    http://www.arl.mil/IEEE

             +***********************************+
                         ANNOUNCEMENT
                IEEE SSSWG MEETING ARRANGEMENTS
                    September 15-16, 1996
             +***********************************+

PLACE & DATE
-------------------
The next meeting of the IEEE P1244 Storage Systems Standards Working
Group will be held at the University of Maryland University College
Inn and Conference Center, College Park, Maryland on September 15-16,
1996 (Sunday and Monday).  This is the same location as the NASA/Goddard
Space Flight Center Conference on Mass Storage Systems and Technologies
being held September 17-19, 1996.  References are made in this notice to
that conference information because it is quite similar.

AGENDA
-------------------
The exact agenda will be published in a week or two, but the meetings
will held Sunday (15th) 10:00am-5:30pm  and Monday (16th) 9:00am-5:30pm.

The primary business of the meeting, aside from the usual mechanics,
will be to move the PVR and PVL APIs toward completion, move the MCS API
past its beginning, and begin the revision of the Reference Model,
possibly with Sam Coleman leading the effort.

Sam says that he wants to attend both days of the SSSWG meeting, and
that he will probably be able to do so.  But he is not able yet to
guarantee that.

Checkout the documents available through the SSSWG web page (URL
http://www.arl.mil/IEEE) before the meeting.  The MCS API (Medium
Changer Service Standard) is an effort to standardize existing practice
in industry to economic benefit of industry and end user alike.  The
Reference Model is widely cited and used as a pattern for storage
systems.  This is your chance to participate in the updating the Model.

RECOMMENDED LODGING
-------------------
The recommended lodging is the Inn (301.985.7303) which is part of
University of Maryland Conference Center.  Space is tight at the Inn,
but if you can make a reservation there, your lodging, parking, the
SSSWG meeting, and the NASA/Goddard Conference will all be co-located.
Also, the Inn and Conference Center has a cafeteria and a small full
service restaurant to accommodate conference participants.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU MAKE RESERVATIONS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

The NASA/Goddard information for transportation and lodging is available
at URL http://esdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/msst/gcmsst_log.html.

The IEEE SSSWG has a block of ten rooms reserved for Saturday 9/14 and
Sunday 9/15 at the same rates as the NASA/Goddard Conference:  including
tax, $77.70 for single occupancy and $93.45 for double occupancy.  Cut
off date for this block is August 28th.

If you are attending the NASA/Goddard Conference as well, you should
refer to their reserved block of rooms which extends through the end of
the NASA/Goddard Conference.

DIRECTIONS
-------------------
The nearest and best airport to use is the Baltimore Washington
International (BWI) Airport in Linthicum, Maryland, about 30 miles from
College Park.

Refer to the URL http://esdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/msst/gcmsst_loc.html for
directions.  In addition, I will scan in a couple of maps which you can
view online and which will actually get you to the Conference Center.

REGISTRATION FEE
As usual, the registration fee is $90, and that includes an evening out
(Monday) at a nice restaurant.

CONTACT
Don't hesitate to call me or send mail if you need more information.

-Jack
SSSWG URL http://www.arl.mil/IEEE