SCSI-2 Contingent Allegiance handling

Gerry Houlder Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Thu Sep 28 15:36:29 PDT 1995

After checking the response in our targets, I found that we accept the next
command from the initiator with an outstanding contingent allegiance and
execute it as long as the command doesn't violate other queuing rules. An
untagged command will never violate the rules (because of explicit words in
SCSI-2 describing this case) and a tagged command is OK as long as it doesn't
overlap an outstanding untagged command (which would be a very rare and unusual
occurrance if the CHECK occurred with an untagged command). This is done
because it is uncomplicated to handle and doesn't cause problems for any of our
customers (and thats a lot of customers).

Creating an artifical status like QUEUE FULL seems like an unnecessary
complication. Returning BUSY status is more reasonable (because that is what
you would return to other initiators when a CA exists for this initiator). We
have found in the past that returning BUSY at strange times causes trouble for
some customers and I expect that a QUEUE FULL would be equally distressing to
those customers.

In my opinion, clearing the Contingent Allegiance should only be done with a
command that ends with GOOD status or CHECK status (the CHECK will set up a new
CA immediately). Commands that end with BUSY or QUEUE FULL shouldn't clear the
CA because this could prevent the initiator from retrieving sense data that
should have been retrievable. A design that checks for queue full and busy
conditions before checking for CA conflicts would have this behavior.

The bottom line is that the standard didn't envision that systems would
actually intermix tagged and untagged commands in normal operations, so the
particular CA response you are asking about never happens except in some
qualification tests or as secondary failures. This is why there was so little
thought put into describing this case in the standard.