Tape Translation

Trimm Industries trimm at netcom.com
Wed Sep 27 16:48:10 PDT 1995

Re: Ken Hallam's question about SCSI-to-SCSI tape type translators...

Yes, such a device is made by Ultera.  It's a tape RAID controller,
but one feature is that it can pretend to be any of a small
list of tape drives.  The fave thing to do is to lie to the host
and pretend to be a 9 track tape drive  when what you really are is an array
of DLTs or Exabytes.  This usually makes the host give the tape driver
a much higher priority to prevent costly tape underruns.
We sell this product, so if you need more info call me and I'm sure
we have some kind of junk mail laying around.

Gary M. Watson
Electronic Engineer                         Internet: trimm at netcom.com
Trimm Technologies                          ftp: netcom.com, pub/tr/trimm
350 Pilot Road
Las Vegas, NV 89119                         Phone: (800) 423-2024 x2115