Device Type Definition

Charles Yang cyang at got.net
Mon Sep 25 19:33:10 PDT 1995

Dear SCSI Reflector:

I would like to know what the original definition of "Device Type" in SCSI-2
is ?

I understood in Inquiry Reply data there is a Removability bit, therefore,
Device Type =0 could mean Removable Hard Drive. Device Type=0 is also
Rewritable. In this case, Removable SCSI FDD, if any,  could also qualify
for this device type by this definition ?!

Moreover, Device type=5 is CD-ROM which is "READ Only" originally, at least
|from my understanding. Now, can we expand the definition of READ ONLY to
Write, and eventually to R/W ?

It seems these days, lots of new device have dual or triple personalities.
The same device can accomodate various types of Media, based upon Size, R/W
and sometimes totally different characteristics. In this case, can we still
use Medium Type in Mode Sense header to accomodate different types of Media.
Or a new device type makes more sense.

============================
Charles Yang
Panasonic Industrial Company