SSC/SMC wg minutes, 9/14/95, Media removal.

Patrick Mercer patrick.mercer at syquest.com
Tue Sep 19 09:49:26 PDT 1995

        Date:    Sep. 18, 1995
        To:      SSC/SMC WG
        From:    Pat Mercer
        Subject: SCSI-3 Prevent/Allow Media removal.
     -------------------

     The SSC/SMC WG 11/14 minutes contained:

     > 4.4 - Prevent/Allow Media removal command.
     >
     > Should an Unload command be allowed when the prevent condition
     > exists? The current Prevent/Allow Media Removal command
     > wording is unclear on this point.

     The Feb. '95 SBC document states, in the last sentence of section
     6.1.4 (Prevent Allow Medium Removal):

     > While a prevention of medium removal condition is in effect
     > the logical unit shall inhibit mechanisms that normally allow
     > removal of the medium by both an operator and by an attached
     > medium changer.

     What am I missing?  Whether the command is LOAD UNLOAD, STOP/START
     UNIT or CHANGE or MOVE MEDIUM, it still seems to me that the "unit
     shall inhibit mechanisms" statement is quite clear,  - -  unless
     there's something that I don't understand or know about???

     I would appreciate it if someone would expand on this issue and
     explain the uncertainty.

     Thanks,

     Pat Mercer

     SyQuest Technology, Inc.