SSC/SMC wg minutes, 9/14/95, SoftWriteProt.

Patrick Mercer patrick.mercer at syquest.com
Tue Sep 19 09:49:41 PDT 1995

        Date:    Sep. 19, 1995
        To:      SSC/SMC, SBC and SPC Working Groups
        From:    Pat Mercer
        Subject: SCSI-3 Software Write Protect proposal

     -----------------------------
     This is a proposal to add the Software Write Protect, as defined
     in SSC, to either SBC or SPC.

     (SSC: SCSI Stream Commands
      SBC: SCSI Block Commands
      SMC: SCSI Media Changer Commands
      SPC: SCSI Primary Commands)
     -----------------------------
     The SSC/SMC WG 11/14 minutes indicated that "the Prevent/Allow
     Media Removal command should be in the SPC document as it can be
     used by tape, disk and CD rom devices."

     I would like to suggest that the same situation applies to the
     Software Write Protect function.  This function is applicable to
     both tape and disk drives, and is specifically a desirable feature
     for removable media disk drives.

     It is unfortunate that I was not able to attend the meeting and
     bring this up earlier, before the control bit was moved, as
     indicated by the SSC/SMC WG 11/14 minutes, which contain:

     > 4.5 -  Initiator controlled write protect. (X3T10/95-134r0)
     >
     > Arlan proposed that the Software Write Protect bit be moved from
     > the read-write error recovery mode page to the device configuration
     > mode page.  Ted suggested bit 2 of byte 10 for this use.  The
     > working group recommended that this be approved by the Plenary.

     I propose that Software Write Protect be specified for both tapes
     and disks.  I would appreciate some advice, though, as to how it
     should be done.  I see several possibilities:

     --1.  Restore the SWP control bit to the SSC Read-Write Error
     Recovery Mode page, and add the SWP bit at the same location to
     the SBC page.

     A possibility, then, would be to combine the pages, which are
     compatible and have no conflicts, if the various SBC fields are
     allowed to be left unused by SSC, and move the results into SPC.
     I'm not clear if the SBC and SSC specific fields could be
     detailed in SPC, if they should be listed in SBC and SSC or if
     the slightly different page definitions should just be left in
     SBC and SSC.

     --2.  Leave SSC as is and add a Device Configuration page to
     SBC, using the SSC location for the SWP bit (Byte 10, bit 2).
     The rest of the page would be empty.  This is easy for SSC
     but doesn't seem the best for SBC.

     --3:  Leave SSC as is and add the SWP bit to the SBC Read-Write
     error recovery Mode page where it was in SSC.  This would work
     for both but would result in the same bit defined in two
     different pages, which doesn't seem too great.

     --4:  ???  Handle this some other way.
     Suggestions would be most welcome.

     I appreciate your consideration, and please add this as an
     agenda item for the Palm Springs meeting for SSC, SBC and,
     if appropriate, SPC.

     Thanks,
     Pat Mercer

     SyQuest Technology, Inc.