RE>Ultra SCSI-2

Skip Jones sk_jones at qlc.com
Tue Oct 3 16:27:24 PDT 1995

Tak/Lee,

As Tak mentioned, it is my understanding that DIFFSENS rules if the bus is SE
or LVDS.  Since I am mostly a marketing-type, I do not have much input as to
the technical merits of this assumption.  However....

The primary marketing advantage to the open market of supplying a 'new' product
during the cusp of a transitioning or new technology which supports each side
of the cusp is that the user does not have to change everything immediately to
the new technology in order to purchase the 'new' product.  It allows a new
infrastructure to be phased-in at a rate comfortable to the user.

For instance, say a user needs to upgrade his SCSI disk drive to more capacity.
 The user can buy a new drive today with the necessary capacity which happens
to be capable of Fast-40/LVDS data xfers.  The user can use the new drive with
the old SE Fast-10/20 host adapter until such time the user is prepared to
upgrade the Host Adapter to FAST-40/LVDS.

A secondary advantage for the Vendor's of such products with regards to
Operations is that it reduces part numbers, prevents inventory segregation, and
simplifies material planning.

I agree with Tak's point regarding a disk drive's buffer bandwidth.  Any
interface (Fast-40, Fast-80, SSA, FC-AL, etc.) which boast speeds above 40-60
MB/s tend to catapult disk drives into a new realm of additional cost due to
the increased buffer bandwidth requirements. Looking out a year or two, if
drives sport a disk rate of 15-20 MB/s, then these higher speed interfaces are
going to require expensive 32-bit buffer memory configurations to maintain
sustained throughput greater than 70 MB/s.  Assuming memory prices continue to
maintain fairly consistent price-points and drive vendors do not become eager
to absorb less margin percentages, such a reality could pose quite a speedbump
to the general market acceptance of any of these new whiz-bang interfaces.

Skip Jones,
Marketing Manager, QLogic