RE Squared: Parallel SCSI, Marketing Group Names

Skip Jones sk_jones at qlc.com
Mon Nov 27 13:25:07 PST 1995

Gene,

While I appreciate your view I must say that of all the areas that the "SIG"
should be concerned with, FCLC's name and public perception of FCLC should not
rate very high on the list!  I do sympathize with you on-going battle to
educate folks that FC is a SCSI interface. However, I do not believe that the
naming of "SIG" is going to help your cause, nor is it an appropriate place.

Again, I can argue about the caliber and level of knowledge already posessed by
the "we" in your statement of, "...how will 'we' quickly recognize the present
scope".  If someone truly attends the meeting or has a need to know the subject
matter whom is not up to date on the subject matter, the primary focus, and the
skill-set of the attendees, then they probably would not know anything about
any of this anyway!  It's self-compensating!  At least, they and their
confusion would be pretty harmless.

Additionally, we should not use the term "parallel" as you so aptly point out,
albeit, not intentionally.  You said, "...how will we quickly recognize the
'PRESENT' scope".  Why would we want to strap a name onto the group that only
identifies the "present" scope? That seems pretty limited to me.  By the same
token, we should have originally named SPI "Cables and Connectors"!

Best regards,

Skip Jones,
Marketing Manager, QLogic Corp.