FASTER SCSI

Jim McGrath jmcgrath at qntm.com
Wed May 24 17:59:35 PDT 1995

        Reply to:   RE>>FASTER SCSI

We have talked about extending addressing to > 16 devices
(although it appears to be a low priority with most people).
One way is to change arbitration to decouple the number of
devices from the number of data lines.  This is straightforward,
but is obviously a backward compatibility problem (all devices
must know the new protocol (actually there may be some
trick to support some legacy devices)).

The other is to use a SCSI bridge to take a SCSI ID and map
it into multiple LUNS, each actually a SSI device on the other
side of the bridge on a different bus.  Here current drives can
be used, but the bridge adds cost and (more important) is pretty
complex (it has to handle arbitration, selection, and messaging).
At the end of the day multiple SCSI protocol chips on some
backplane might be easier and cheaper.  In that case the
bandwidth/overhead concerns focus on the backplane bus (e.g. PCI).

Jim