payload size (5/95 FC-AL Minutes)

Jeff Stai stai at dt.wdc.com
Fri May 12 17:27:39 PDT 1995

OK, I am confused (nothing new, eh?-)... I was not at the meeting, so I
am afraid I must go by what I read in the minutes:

1. I thought that the 256 byte minimum payload referred to in FC-PH was
really the "lowest maximum". Payloads can always be smaller (what about
the last frame of a sequence that is not the multiple of a frame
size?). The limit establishes that a device must be able to receive at
least 256 as its max frame size. Right?

2. Is not the payload for FCP_CMND 32 bytes? If so, must we then also
bump it up to 256?

3. Now that we have gotten past THAT, we have this 256 byte upper limit
for sense data size, which has always been the case, all the way back
to SCSI-1. This should not be a surprise...? Apparently, the news now
is that someone has identified a use for all of it...

4. The issue on the actual size of FCP_RSP frames/sequences is not the
general size of payload that can be handled, it relates more to the
ability of the initiator and target to deal with "non-data" frames;
i.e., commands, status/sense, etc. Smaller entities are easier to route
between FC-2 and FC-4 than larger ones, in general. Efficient
implementations need to keep this stuff out of the main data path; I
know we all have experience in this from our SCSI days...

Therefore, I like the following for the profile:

* For GOOD status (Our Friend, the SCSI Status Byte ;-), the maximum
payload of FCP_RSP is required to be less than 128 bytes. Heck, I can't
see a reason for any more than 32 bytes, but I'll try and be easy. If
everyone could agree on 32 bytes, that would be great!

* For any other status, the recommended maximum payload for FCP_RSP is
128 bytes. If more is needed in some situations, that's fine. Don't
make a habit of it.

I gather from the minutes there wasn't a groundswell of demand for more
bytes of payload. Does my proposal meet the needs of SCC etc.?

jeff stai
western digital i/o products
stai at dt.wdc.com
714-932-7644