Comments on Policies and Procedures

Gene Milligan Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Thu Mar 30 04:47:06 PST 1995

John Lohmeyer produced and reviewed a flow diagram which has now been included
in 94-198r2.

On or about 03/02/95 05:31:06 PM Lansing Sloan wrote a number of editorial
comments for the X3T10 Policies and Procedures. All of his suggested
corrections have been included in 94-198r2 which has been uploaded to the BBS
as 94-198r2.doz. It is WFW 6.0.

Lansing started with a comment:
>(1) In clause 2.4, second paragraph, it says the project editor or
>proposer "shall identify the technical changes which are newly
>included in the revision to be accepted."  This wording is rather
>awkward in the case of a document that has not been accepted
>previously.  Presumably changes from unaccepted versions are what
>you intend, and if someone is asking for acceptance of a first draft
>then all technical features should be identified.  I don't think
>a change is required here, I think the wording allows for common
>sense interpretation, but thought to mention it in case something's
>not quite what you intended.

 Looking at this in view of Lansing's comment I did make an editorial change as
follows:

" When a revised or new document is moved for acceptance, the project editor,
or proposer if there is no project editor, shall identify the technical changes
which are newly included in the revision to be accepted. The identification can
take the form of a listing of item document numbers which are newly
incorporated. This requirement is facilitated by the fact that the project
editor is not authorized to make technical changes without an applicable item
proposal as <<is required for>> any other participant. For technical items
which are instigated verbally through a meeting motion rather than an item
paper, such items shall be identified by reference to the meeting minutes
document number. Since Working Draft  acceptance is not final action, only a
majority of those members voting is required for acceptance."

 But Lansing, the wording assumes a document is generally familiar to the
committee but, in the case you point out, has not been previously accepted. It
is likely that the proposal to accept it will result after some key change(s)
has been made. The object, especially assuming the document is hot off the
presses at the meeting, is to identify the new change(s) that has led to the
proposal to accept the document.

Gene