SCAM and BDR

Kurt Chan kc at core.rose.hp.com
Mon Mar 27 10:09:55 PST 1995

| Erich:
|
| At a gathering we had in Lake Tahoe in January, the consensus was that the
| device was to do all initialization, except for letting its ID go.
| Obviously, if the device gives its ID up, it would be forced to Hard Reset
| the entire bus to get an ID back.  So you are right.
|
| Bob Griswold

This is consistent with the leanings of the FC-AL group - TARGET RESET
will NOT cause address changes, only a Loop Initialization Primitive
will be allowed to do that.  The problem is identical to SCAM if this
rule is not followed - "orphaned" devices during the time between
Reset and LIP.

      Kurt Chan                          kc at core.rose.hp.com
      Hewlett-Packard                    Voice: 916-785-5621
      System Interconnect Lab            Fax:   916-785-2875