Configure_port SMS & Alarm_threshold

Bob Snively Bob.Snively at Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Mar 16 16:30:19 PST 1995

Note that parts of this activity appear inconsistent with SCSI SAM and
SCSI drivers.  SAM specifies AEN as an asynchronous mechanism
that utilizes the peer-to-peer capability of SCSI.  The work
now being done by George Penokie of IBM and others on
the management of Predictive Failure Notification messages
|from the target device manages the definition and behavior of
thresholds and the timing and format of the presentation of
standard SCSI information.  Other threshold management is performed by
the logging pages according to the rules established by the
corresponding TIB and the SPC document.  The environmental and
cabinet alerts are presented using the SCSI-3 Controller Command set
and future SCSI diagnostic commands, not through link level communication.
A generic link has no idea whether or not fans or power supplies exist.

The definitions applied here can only be associated with
link recovery and configuration alerts that are independent of
device type and behavior, not with SCSI node alerts like PFN, environmental
alerts, or device safety conditions.

Bob Snively
Sun Microsystems Computer Company
Mail Stop UMPK 12-204