SCAM

Steve Timm (SYS) stevetim at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 3 14:39:24 PST 1995

Note that SCAM intolerant devices are those that are not
compatible with the PnP SCAM protocol in such a manner
that they will not work when on the same bus.  Clearly, this
is catastrophic and thus such configurations are not permitted
as they are the antithisus of Plug and Play.  But ...

There is a general assumption here that most (more than
95% of) legacy devices are SCAM tolerant.  Limited sample
testing has not raised any issues to date either by the device
vendors or during a recent Plug and Play SCSI test fest.  At the
test fest, testing with a mix of PnP and Legacy devices was
encouraged.  Another test fest is being planned for SCSI sometime
in April/May timeframe.  A larger test sample is expected to include
a matrix of legacy and PnP devices with results publicly distributed.

The goal of PnP SCSI is to be fully backward compatible with
the installed base.  The message is simple, legacy devices
may coexist on a PnP SCSI bus.  Legacy host controllers may
function with PnP peripherals on the bus.  If this is not true, then
SCAM has not met the goals set for PnP.  But as I stated, there
is no data to indicate that SCAM intolerance is a problem.