System Issues: The Bottom Line

Duncan.Penman at netcom.com Duncan.Penman at netcom.com
Mon Jan 30 22:03:40 PST 1995

Sometimes it's useful to point out the obvious.

Hale Landis did that for me a couple of days back and I'll pass it on
because there's an important piece of truth in it.  It's quite simple.
If we identify 2 or 3 real problems and focus on solving them over the
next several months, we'll probably be successful.  The objective of the
System Issues Study Group should be to pick the right 2 or 3 items.

This "system issues thing" is still at a stage where unbridled
brainstorming is appropriate, but I want to condition people's
expectations toward there being only a small number of projects to really
come out of it.  If you had to pick one system issue to be resolved in
1995, what would you choose?

A brief status report:
The most active dialogue so far has been about
standards compliance for ATAPI CD-ROM drives.  ATASPI has raised some
comment.  The only ATA topic that has hit the press this past week is
more on the >1024 cylinder support issue.  I haven't heard anything from
the SCSI side of the world.

Is life really this simple?  I wish I could believe it.  More likely I
just haven't asked the right question yet.

Whatever the case, by the end of February I'll be summarizing the threads
of these discussions with object of getting work started on a small
number of items, if any items seem significant.  If you don't speak up
now, don't complain later!

My sincere thanks to those who have taken the time to post your thoughts.

* Duncan Penman                         *
* IIX Consulting/ENDL Associates        *
* penman at netcom.com                     *
* ph: (408)730-2565, fax: (408)730-5527 *
* ON VACATION 2/1-2/10/95, EXPECT SLOW RESPONSE TO MAIL *