IPF_Levies

Dal Allan dal_allan at mcimail.com
Sun Dec 10 05:05:35 PST 1995

          To:  X3T10 Members and Observers   ata at dt.wdc.com
                                             ssa at dt.wdc.com
                                             scsi at symbios.com
               X3T11 Members and Observers   hippi-ext at think.com
                                             fibre-channel-ext at think.com
     Subject:  ANSI International Participation Fee Levy

        From:  Dal Allan

My apologies to those of you who are on several reflectors, but we have no
committee reflectors yet to reduce the duplication.

At the San Diego plenary meeting of X3T11 this week, the members discussed
the levying of IPFs (International Participation Fees), and what actions to
take concerning their unfair nature. The proposal considered covered several
scenarios, because companies have different ways of handling invoices.

The discussion started when the suggestion Bob Snively made at X3T10 in
November of establishing an escrow for IPFs was discussed. The concept was
greeted well by the members because X3 and ANSI have refused to change the
program despite extensive discussions with John Lohmeyer and Roger Cummings.

Much of the reluctance has been attributed to loss of revenue concerns. If
several thousand dollars were deposited to an escrow account there would be
an inducement for X3 and ANSI to respond to member concerns.

As you can tell from the following, there is a strong feeling amongst the
members that X3T* committees are being used as a revenue source to fund
ANSI's international activities on behalf of other committees.

The following principles were agreed to:

 1. Payment of Fees to X3 Secretariat

   a) Members involved in only one X3 committee pay only the X3 fees portion
      of their bill and exclude the IPF fee, accompany the bill with a
      letter explaining that non-payment of the IPF based on supporting the
      principle of a single IPF per individual participating in X3.
   b) Members involved in more than one X3 committee pay only the X3 fees
      portion of their bill and exclude the IPF fees, and accompany the
      payment with a letter explaining that non-payment of the IPF based on
      supporting the principle of a single IPF per individual participating
      in X3.
   c) Members who are involved in one or more X3 committees but have paid
      all the fees already (or work for companies which will not make
      partial payments) send X3 a letter expressing support for the
      principle of a single IPF per individual participating in X3.

2. Payment of Fees to an Escrow Account

   a) Members who have paid X3 fees to the Secretariat pay one IPF amount
      into an Escrow account pending successful resolution of discussions
      with X3 related to the IPF.
   b) Members pay all their fees for X3 to the Escrow account, and the X3
      fees are forwarded to the Secretariat. This simplifies invoice
      payments in some companies, but requires that members who want to do
      so to contact me to obtain an Invoice from the Escrow account.

3. Successful Resolution

   a) Members are supplied with budget information indicating the sum of
      IPFs collected, and the use of the IPF funds.
   b) Members receive information about the basis for collection of fees
      from other Accredited Standards Committees and the relative scale of
      the sums involved.
   c) Justification as to why editors are required to create two differently
      formatted standards, one for ANSI and the other for ISO (ANSI agreed
      to adopt the ISO format years ago, but has produced its own unique
      style despite this).
   d) X3T* members will approve any final resolution. If the final
      resolution should be to pay the IPF fees, the funds held in escrow
      will be forwarded to X3 along with an accounting of who paid the IPFs.

4. Should any portion of the IPF amounts in escrow not be paid to the X3
   Secretariat, the X3T* committees will propose where and when to spend the
   funds including any accumulated interest.

X3 has advised that the drop dead date for payment of fees is March 1.

X3T10 has a plenary in January and X3T11 has a plenary in February.

Rather than take the step of immediate action to establish an escrow
account, the X3T11 members decided to delay taking formal action on the
escrow until then. This provides X3 and ANSI an opportunity to respond, and
maybe an end to the inequity can be negotiated with John and Roger.

In the meantime, members who have already paid their fees or are in the
process of doing so are encouraged to write a letter expressing their
dissatisfaction with the IPF. I was asked to prepare a suitable letter, a
sample of which is attached below.

John and Roger have been told that there is consideration being given to
assessing fees based on the amount of support of their international
activities. No timetable has been suggested.

There apparently has been no acceptance of the principle that even though we
are all represented in one ISO activity we should only pay one IPF.

When X3T13 forms in January, all members who belong to X3T10 are going to
find themselves billed for IPFs. X3T13 could take the position that it will
not participate in ISO activities, and that should avoid IPFs being levied.

Following is a suggested form of letter which can be mailed to the X3
Secretariat, or faxed to 202-638-4922.

     X3 Secretariat
     ITI Council
     1250 Eye St #200
     Washington  DC 20005

   All the interface projects in X3T10, X3T11, X3T12 and the soon to be
   formed X3T13 are covered at ISO SC25/WG4. As a member of these
   committees, I am therefore participating in only one international
   activity i.e. ISO SC25/WG4.

   Whether I participate in one or more Accredited Standards Committees does
   not add anything to the costs incurred by ANSI in its role of JTC/1 to
   ISO activities.

   It is improper to levy X3T* members and Observers on the basis of their
   American standards efforts for a single ISO working group. There is not
   even strong international support for X3T* projects, several proposed as
   New Work Items have failed through lack of support by enough countries.

   The benefits which flow to X3T* from participating in SC25/WG4 are very
   small. The present method of levying fees is an inequitable distribution
   by which funds raised from X3T* IPFs are being used to underwrite ANSI
   support of other standards groups.

   I support the effort by X3T* committee members to restructure the IPF to
   be levied on the basis of one fee per individual per international
   activity they are involved in.