Conflict with exception handling selection mode page

George Penokie GOP at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.COM
Tue Dec 5 07:44:17 PST 1995

In true SCSI fashion we have created an unresolvable inconsistancy between the
definations of the interval timer field and the report count field in the
exception handling selection mode page.

The current defination for the zero value of the interval timer states 'the
target shall only report the informational exception condition one time.'
While the defination for the zero value of the report count field states
'there is no limit on the number of times the target shall report an
informational exceptin condition.'

So the question is; How many times is the informational exception condition
reported if both the interval timer and the report count fields are set to
zero?

The answer according to SCSI; Don't make both fields zero !!!!!

That answer is, of course, no good.  I would like to propose the defination
of the interval timer field be changed to: 'A value of zero on the interval
timer field shall indicate the timer interval is vendor specific.' and that
the FFFFFFFFh value being defined as vendor specific be dropped.

Any comments??

Bye for now,
George Penokie