FC-AL connector question

Jim McGrath jmcgrath at qntm.com
Thu Aug 3 12:01:22 PDT 1995

        Reply to:   RE>FC-AL connector question

Any power specification is always a requirement placed on the power
supply provider (i.e. host system) not the device.  Drives may or may not
use the 3 v supply - just like they may or may not use the 5 v and 12 v
supplies (note that 2.5" drives generally only use 5 v, and ignore the 12 v).

Host implementators may not supply 3.3 v, but in that case they will not be
able to use certain drives (a native 3.3 v supply to the drive results in
lower
drive cost).  Since the whole point of a standard is to allow users to mix and
match products from various vendors, not supplying the 3.3v would seem to
defeat the purpose of being FC SCA compliant.  I would strongly advise anyone
designing a new enclosure to put in the 3.3v - if you don't you will be
shrinking
the market for you product and adding system costs (the cost adder per drive
easily outweighs the cost of putting 3.3v in the enclosure).

(note - SSA also has 3.3v, and if we could we would put in in parallel SCSI -
the requirement is driven by the need of drive electronics using smaller
geometry processes, not the interface).

Jim