MMC WG Minutes 3/29-30

RKROBERTS at aol.com RKROBERTS at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 08:26:56 PDT 1995

Doc. No.   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:	          April 3, 1995
Project:	          X3T10-1048D	=

Ref. Doc.:          X3T10/94-057
Reply to:            rkroberts at aol.com (ROn Roberts)

To:	Membership of X3T10
From:	R.K. Roberts
Subject:	Minutes of X3T10 MMC  Working Group - March 29 & 30, 1995

Agenda
1.0 	Openning Remarks
2.0 	Introductions
3.0 	Document Distribution
4.0	Call for Patents
5.0	Approval of Agenda
6.0 	Meeting Agenda
     6.1   KODAK presentation on CD-R methods (action item from 3/8) 1hr
     6.2   Philips presentation  (action item from 3/8)  1hr =

     6.3   Architecture and command flow decisions    4hrs
     6.4   Methods of incorporating items into Document  2 hr
7.0	New Business
8.0	Review of Action Items
9.0	Future Meeting Schedule
10.0	Adjournment

1.  Openning Remarks
Ron Roberts convened the meeting at 9:30AM.  He thanked Kevin Ross sittin=
g in
for Bill McFerrin,
sitting in for Sunil Nethisinghe of Philips Semiconduct for hosting the
meeting and Liz Franklin for =

over-seeing and providing direction for us.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by X3T10 and would be
conducted under the =

X3 rules.  Ad hoc meetings take no final actions, but prepare recommendat=
ions
for approval by the
 X3T10 task group.  The voting rules for the meeting are those of the par=
ent
committee, X3T10.  For
 the ad hoc, other than straw votes, the voing rules  are:  one vote per
participating company. =

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI Reflector, the MMC=

Reflector, the ATAPI Reflector, =

and will be included in the next X3T10 committee mailing.
As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of t=
he
attendance list was
 circulated for attendance and corrections.
2.  Introductions,  Attendance and Membership
Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attend=
ance
requirements for
 X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are open to any person or comp=
any
to attend and to
express their opinion on the subjects being discussed.
See attendance list at end of this document.

6.0  AGENDA

6.1  Robert Reisch was not present to complete his action item from 3/8 b=
ut
he sent an able replacement in  Rick Bohn who presented an architectural =
flow
as requested.

6.2  Ian Endering of Philips presented their architectural flow as reques=
ted
in the 3/8 meeting. After he completed his presentation the group combine=
the Philips, Yamaha, RICOH, SONY, Eastman Kodak
flows and developed the following Architecture flowsd and definitions.

6.3  Architecture and command flow decisions =

As would be expected the majority of both days was spent on this agenda i=
tem.

DEFINITIONS
Definitions that were clarified during the meetings, and will be incorpor=
ated
within the MMC document, are listed here:
SESSION - A contiguous area of a Disc that contains a Lead In (LIN), a
Program Area (PA), and a Lead Out (LOUT). A session may or may not be
appendable.
APPENDABLE DISC - A disc in which the last session has a pointer to the n=
ext
possible session.
WRITABLE DISC - A disc that is blank or is appendable or contains an
incomplete session.
INCOMPLETE SESSION - A session with partially recorded Program Area (PA) =
but
without LIN and LOUT written

DEFINITION of DISC AREAS
                               Session 1                     Session 2
                                  Session  n     =

Disc        |________________________|_______________|_________|_________=
_____
_|
                                                               \
                           |                  \
               |                                                \
                          |                    \
               |                                                 \
                         |                      \
               |                                                  \
                        |LI___PA__LO  \         Session
               |                                                   \
                                                              At
               |                                                    \
                                                           Once
Session  |_LI=3D+=3D=3D=3D=3D+=3D=3D=3D=3D+=3D=3D=3D+=3D=3D=3D+ LO |
                      /            \               /          \
                    /                \            /             \
Track At      /___TAO___\         /                \
    Once                                   /                   \
                   FP=3D Fixed Packet Size
                                              /                      \
                 VP=3D Variable Packet Size
                  Incremental        /_FP__FP__FP_\
                   Track Write       |                           |
                                            | _VP__VP__VP_|
                                     May be Fixed or Variable     =

PMA and TDB Content:
PMA  	Start point
	Stop point
	TAO or Packet
	Copy, Permit or Inhibit

TDB	Fixed or Variable Length
	Fix Packet Size

A architectural flow for determining the status of a disc was defined dur=
ing
the meeting is listed below:

                            ****************  DETERMINE DISC STATUS
   *******************

                           IS Disc
                          Writable? ---> no ------>  STOP

                              yes

                            Is Disc  ---> no  --------> Is there an
                            Blank?                           Incomplete
 ----> no -------> Interrupted =

                                 |                                 Sessio=
n?
                           Write  Process
                                yes                                   |
                                  |                                   yes=
 =

                                 V                                    V
                              Blank                               Next
                               Disc                              Write
Process

An architectural flow of the write process for a CD-R was defined during =
the
meetings and is listed below. It was determined that this flow will be us=
ed
as the master flow for determining the command structure to implement thi=
flow.

                               **************  EXECUTE WRITE PROCESS
   ******************

						BLANK DISC

			+------------------------+----------------------+
                Incremental       Write
                    |                                      =

                  |                    Format          Packet  =

                   V                                                     =
                    Track              ^   |
         Un-Interrupted                   +---------------  Interrupted
            ^   |                |    |
                    |                             |                      =
 ^
  ^    |                 |   V               |    V
                    |                             |                      =
 |
   |    +--------> WRITE     PROCESS =

                   V                            V                      | =

   |             |     |    ^      |    ^     |   ^  =

           Write Disc             Write Session            |    |    |
            |     |    |      |     |     |   | =

             at once                     at once                 |    |  =

            |    V   |       |    |      |   |
                    |                             |                      =

   |    |             |   Reserve |     |     |   |
                    |                            V                      |=
 =

  |    |              |    Track    |     |     |   |
                    |                    Appendable              |    |  =
  |
             |             Complete|   | =

                    |                          Disc?      ->-yes-+   |
                  |                  Track  |   | =

                    |                               |
                        |                   |                            =
 |

                    |                              no                    =

                  V                           V  | =

                    |                               |
                        |             Complete            Write Track
                    |                               |
                        |              Session                  at once
                    |                               |
                        |                    |                           =

                    |                               |                 =

       |                   V                           =

                    |                               |  =

                     +--yes-<- Appendable
                    |                               |                =

                           Disc?
                    |                               |

                    |                               |
                                             no
                    |                               |

                    +---------------> Finished Disc
<----------------------------+   =

The following information was identified as being required to perform the=

specified architectural flow of the write process operation. The Disc/Hos=
designation identifies  where the information originates from.

UN-INTERRUPTABLE
1.  	What is the capacity?				Disc
2.	User data?         Content?			                Host
		           Size?                           =

                                Host
	                           Mode?                                        =
 =

                Host
3.	What is subcode information?			                Host
4.	What is synchronization information (in TOC)	                Host
5.	What is Layout of Disc?				Host
6.	What is UPC & ISRC?				Host
7.	What is Index Number?				Host

INTERRUPTABLE -   SESSION AT ONCE
1.  	What is the capacity?				Disc
2.	User data?         Content?			                Host
		           Size?                                            	Host
	                           Mode?
                                                          Host
3.	What is subcode information?			                Host
4.	What is synchronization information (in TOC)                        Ho=
st
5.	What is UPC & ISRC?				Host
6.	What is Index Number?				Host
7.	Will Disc be appendable?                            =

                           Host
8.	What is First writable address?			Disc
9.	What is the layout of the Session?
                                        Host

INTERRUPTABLE -   FORMAT TRACK
1.	What is status of track?				Disc
		Blank area or Empty Reserve?
2.	What is capacity of area?
                                                      Disc
3. 	What is packet type ?  Fix? Variable?
                                   Host
4.	What is packet size?				Host
5.	What is Data mode?				Host
6.	What is track number?				Host
7.	What is disc type?                 =

                                                 Host/Disc

INTERRUPTABLE -   WRITE PACKET
1.	What is status of track?				Disc
	                   Blank area or Empty Reserve?
2.	What is capacity of area?                 =

                                    Disc
3.	What is packet size?				Host/Disc
4.	What is track number?				Host
5.	What is First writable address?			Disc
6.	What is maximum packet size?			Disc
7.	User data?         Content? =

                                                     Host
		           Form?                                   =

                       Host
		           Mode?
                                                         Disc
	=

	=

INTERRUPTABLE -   TRACK  AT ONCE
1.	What is status of track?				Disc
	                     Blank area or Empty Reserve?
2.	What is capacity of area?
                                                      Disc
3.	What is track number?				Host
4.	What is First writable address?			Disc
5.	User data?         Content?                     =

                                 Host
		           Form?                                                       =

   Host
		           Mode?
                                                          Host

INTERRUPTABLE -   RESERVE TRACK
1.	What is status of track?				Disc
2.	What is capacity of area?                                    =

                  Disc
3.	What is track  number?				Host
4.	What is track length?				Host
5.	Will it be a Track At Once or Packet Write?
                           Disc
6.	What is Packet Type?  Fix?  Variable?              =

                    Disc
7.	What is packet size?				Disc

INTERRUPTABLE -   COMPLETE SESSION
1.	What is status of track?				Disc
2.	What is track  number?				Host

INTERRUPTABLE -   COMPLETE SESSION
1.	What is status of Disc?				Disc
2.	What is capacity of area?	=

                                               Disc
3.	What is disc type?
                                                                  Host/Di=
sc
4. 	What is status of all tracks in Session
                                   Disc
5.	Leave Disc Appendable?                                   =

                    Host

6.5  Methods of incorporating CD-R items into MMC Document  =

It was proposed and agreed to incorporate a CD-R Section of the MMC docum=
ent.
The section will be numbered 5.0 with the following sub-clauses
Clause 5.0 CD-RECORDABLE  (CD-R)
	5.1 Special Definitions
	5.2 Architectural Model
	5.3 Command Definitions (Unique Cmds)

7.0   Bill Bixby of LMS presented the PLAY AUDIO information from Bill
McFerrin of LMS.  The group decided to delete the Commands PLAY CD-ROM XA=

(Bdh) and PLAY CD-ROM XA ADPCM DATA (Bch) from the command set.  The acti=
on
item is for editor to remove these commands.

8.0   Review of Action Items:
	1.  Peter Brown to report back on Play Audio command decisions from ATAP=
SFF meetings.
	2.  Ron Roberts to incorporate architectural flows in the MMC document f=
or
next meetings in =

                  Harrisburg PA
	3.   All working group review commands to identify those that need to be=

modified. =

9.0	Future Meeting Schedule
	It was decided that there will be no meetings in April and that we shoul=
try to review the commands and additions to the MMC document via the MMC
reflector.
	Next face to face will be held during X3T10 week in Harrisburg PA. This
meeting  will be a 5 hour time slot on Tuesday May 9, 1995 from 1PM to 6P=
M.

10.0	Adjournment ----- meeting adjourned at 3:30 PM on 3/30/95 =

List of Attendees   Please check the spelling of your name and E-mail
addresses and send =

any corrections to editor.

Name	                              Company	=

                                       E-mail
Mr. Norman Leung	      Apple Computer Corp	       leung1 at applelink.apple.=
com
Mr. Florey Lin 	      Cirrus Logic	                       florey at cirrus.c=
om
Mr. Amrish Patel	      Creative Labs, Inc	       apatel at creaf.com
Mr. Rick Bohn	      Eastman Kodak	=

                      bohn at sector.kodak.com
Mr. Rob Sims	      Hewlett Packard	       robsims at depeche.lvld.hp.com
Mr. Bill Kozlorsky	      IBM Almaden Research Ctr      koz at almaden.ibm.co=
Mr. ByronS Lee	      IBM Almaden Research Ctr      bigby at almaden.ibm.com
Mr. Duncan Penman      IIX	                        =

              penman at netcom.com
Mr. Bill Dong	      Lion Optics	=

Mr. Mike Flora	      Microsoft Corp	          =

            mikefl at microsoft.com
Mr. Neil Sugie	      Mitsumi (Alpha Peripherals)
    101122.1711 at compuserve.com
Mr. Shigeto Itoh	      Mitsumi (Alpha Peripherals)
Mr. Chris D=92Iorio	      NEC	                               =

       cd-iorio at nectech.com
Mr. Mike Hetzel	      OAK Technology	       mikeh at corp.oak.com
Mr. Peter Brown	      OAK Technology	       peterb at corp.oaktech.com
Mr. Ted Fujioka	      Panasonic/MKE                        100207.2272 at co=
mpuse
rve.com
Mr. Bill Bixby	      Philips	                       bill_b at lms.com
Mr. Marc Severi	      Philips	=

                      ms at behsces2.serigate.philips.nl
Mr. Jan Enderink	      Philips Laser Optics	      =

enderinj at am.umc.ce.philips.nl
Mr. Ganesh Swaminathan  Philips Semiconductor	=

      ganesh at keymodules.philips.com
Mr. Kevin Ross	      Philips Semiconductor	       rossk at scs.philips.com
Mr. Charlie Chiba	      Pioneer New Media Tech	=

Mr. Hamid Noorian	      Pioneer New Media Tech	=

Mr. Tsutomu Ogishi	      Sanyo Semiconductor Cor       ogishits at ix.netcom=
=2Ecom
Mr. Ron Roberts	      SIERRA-PAC Technology         rkroberts at aol.com
Mr. Mike Yokoyama       SONY
                                      masayuki at cppc.sel.sony.com
Mr. Tatsuya Imokuchi    SONY        =

                              tatsuya at strg.sony.co.jp
Mr. Jonathan Hanmann  Western Digital                    =

   hanmann-j at a1.wdc.com
Mr. Nick Emoto 	      Yamaha
                                  nick at yamaha.mhs.compuserve.com
Mr. Kazushi Tamai	      Yamaha Corp	=

                      tama at lab1.yamaha.co.jp
Mr. Ken Takeshita	      Yamaha Corp 	=

                      take at lab1.yamaha.co.jp
Mr. Masa Morizumi	      Yamaha Corp                 =

         mori at lab1.yamaha.co.jp