ACA Recovery Methods Supported by a Logical Unit(X3T10/94-177R0)

Bob Snively Bob.Snively at eng.sun.com
Sat Sep 10 20:39:52 PDT 1994

Charles,

I believe that your second paragraph needs a minor correction.

"A logical unit must support at least one value and may support both"
should read
"A logical unit must support at least the zero or default value and may
support both".

I believe your proposal should then indicate that an INQUIRY command
should always be executed with the ACA bit set to zero.  There is no
state information associated with INQUIRY that would make ACA
an interesting requirement.

It is not clear to me what the two bits are intended to convey.

If the INQUIRY information indicates that the device is operating
in SCSI-2 mode, there are bits that indicates whether or not ECA
is available and enabled.

If the INQUIRY information indicates that the device is operating in
SCSI-3 mode, then only a single ACA Available bit is required to
indicate whether or not the ACA control bit is allowed to be set to
one.  That would simplify the proposal further.

Bob Snively