94-178R0 -- Proposal for TEST SUPPORT command

Ralph Weber -- VMS -- ZKO3-4/U14 weber at star.enet.dec.com
Fri Sep 9 09:07:03 PDT 1994

I ran the memory requirements numbers for a disk that implements only the
mandatory commands.

                                               Parm.
                           Command      CDB     Data
                       FORMAT UNIT        6       32 ***
                           INQUIRY        6
    PREVENT - ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL        6
                           READ(6)        6
                          READ(10)       10
                     READ CAPACITY       10
                           RELEASE        6
                     REQUEST SENSE        6
                           RESERVE        6
                   SEND DIAGNOSTIC        6
                   TEST UNIT READY        6
                                   -----------------
                            Totals       74       32
                                             106

I don't know how these issues sit in drives.
Is 106 bytes alot?

*** 32 is a guess.  I cannot really tell what should be the parameter data
    because there are so many sub-blocks in the FORMAT UNIT parameter data.
    I suspect that a host would never be really sure about whatever it got
    back in the parameter usage mask part of a TEST SUPPORT response about
    FORMAT UNIT.

Ralph::