dictionary

Dal Allan 0002501752 at mcimail.com
Wed Nov 30 23:20:00 PST 1994

Jerry,

> When you look in SPI Annex A (on hot plugging), clause A.3 part a) uses the
> word "quiesced". A very astute technical writer in our company has noted that
> this word doesn't exist in any common dictionary. Can anyone come up with a
> dictionary reference or other authority that defines this word and accepts it
> as a member of the English language?

Chambers Science and Technology Dictionary has several definitions (by area)
of quiescent. This is a classic case of the language changing over time to
reflect needs. Using the verb 'quiesce' is a fairly recent introduction and
is obviously intended to create a quiescent condition.

There was an article somewhere in the last decade which described how
technology was adopting and manipulating words to create a new language
which was dienfrnachising a large segment of the population. I never
realized at the time that we were part of the problem....

Dal