Media changers attached to CD-ROM devices currently prohibited

Ralph Weber -- VMS -- ZKO3-4/U14 weber at star.enet.dec.com
Wed Nov 23 08:48:36 PST 1994

Bob Snively wrote:

> Yes.

> I care.  However, I would have expected the Medium Changer and the
> CD-ROM to have separate LUs and separate INQUIRY data indicating
> their distinctive character, so it should be a "don't care" condition.

Bob is correct, at least for one implementation.  However, approved document
92-006r1 required that MOVE MEDIUM and READ ELEMENT STATUS be made common to
all device types.  The intent was that any device have access to minimal
medium changer capabilities, without being required to implement a logical
unit (LU) just for that task.

The current operation code usage of the SET CD-ROM SPEED defeats this goal for
CD-ROM devices.

Thanks.

Ralph::