94-243r0. -- Editorial Corrections to SPC for SCC

Ralph Weber -- VMS -- ZKO3-4/U14 weber at star.enet.dec.com
Tue Nov 15 19:13:50 PST 1994

                                                   X3T10/94-243R0

To:       Membership of X3T10

From:     Ralph O. Weber
          Digital Equipment Corporation

Date:     November 15, 1994

Subject:  Editorial Corrections to SPC for SCC

While processing approved document X3T10/94-024R5, I discovered
several areas where the relationship between the SPC and the SCC
is not as good as it could be.  Acting on the belief that all
these problems are editorial in nature, I am correcting them in
SPC revision 4.  This document catalogs the areas being changed.
I will accept comments or corrections to the material described
herein.  Such comments may not appear in the SPC until revision
5.

First, 94-024R5 incorrectly identified the ASC/ASCQ values in the
following two cases:

5Eh 01h  LOGICAL UNIT FAILURE
5Eh 02h  TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT

Discussions with George Penokie have shown that the correct ASC
in both cases is 3Eh (not 5Eh).  This would put both of the
approved new ASC/ASCQ values under:

3Eh 00h  LOGICAL UNIT HAS NOT SELF-CONFIGURED YET

Second, per the discussion at the November plenary meeting,
George Penokie, Doug Hagerman and I have constructed the
following list of existing ASC/ASCQs that should have an A in
their controller (array) device column:

00h  00h  NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION
00h  06h  I/O PROCESS TERMINATED
04h  00h  LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, CAUSE NOT REPORTABLE
04h  01h  LOGICAL UNIT IS IN PROCESS OF BECOMING READY
04h  02h  LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, INITIALIZING COMMAND REQUIRED
04h  03h  LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY, MANUAL INTERVENTION REQUIRED
05h  00h  LOGICAL UNIT DOES NOT RESPOND TO SELECTION
08h  00h  LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION FAILURE
08h  01h  LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION TIME-OUT
08h  02h  LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION PARITY ERROR
0Ah  00h  ERROR LOG OVERFLOW
1Ah  00h  PARAMETER LIST LENGTH ERROR
1Bh  00h  SYNCHRONOUS DATA TRANSFER ERROR
20h  00h  INVALID COMMAND OPERATION CODE
24h  00h  INVALID FIELD IN CDB
25h  00h  LOGICAL UNIT NOT SUPPORTED
26h  00h  INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST
26h  01h  PARAMETER NOT SUPPORTED
26h  02h  PARAMETER VALUE INVALID
26h  03h  THRESHOLD PARAMETERS NOT SUPPORTED
28h  00h  NOT READY TO READY TRANSITION, MEDIUM MAY HAVE CHANGED
29h  00h  POWER ON, RESET, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURRED
29h  01h  POWER ON OCCURRED
29h  02h  SCSI BUS RESET OCCURRED
29h  03h  BUS DEVICE RESET FUNCTION OCCURRED
2Ah  00h  PARAMETERS CHANGED
2Ah  01h  MODE PARAMETERS CHANGED
2Ah  02h  LOG PARAMETERS CHANGED
2Ch  00h  COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR
2Fh  00h  COMMANDS CLEARED BY ANOTHER INITIATOR
37h  00h  ROUNDED PARAMETER
39h  00h  SAVING PARAMETERS NOT SUPPORTED
3Dh  00h  INVALID BITS IN IDENTIFY MESSAGE
3Eh  00h  LOGICAL UNIT HAS NOT SELF-CONFIGURED YET
3Fh  00h  TARGET OPERATING CONDITIONS HAVE CHANGED
3Fh  01h  MICROCODE HAS BEEN CHANGED
3Fh  03h  INQUIRY DATA HAS CHANGED
40h  NNh  DIAGNOSTIC FAILURE ON COMPONENT NN (80H-FFH)
43h  00h  MESSAGE ERROR
44h  00h  INTERNAL TARGET FAILURE
45h  00h  SELECT OR RESELECT FAILURE
47h  00h  SCSI PARITY ERROR
48h  00h  INITIATOR DETECTED ERROR MESSAGE RECEIVED
49h  00h  INVALID MESSAGE ERROR
4Ah  00h  COMMAND PHASE ERROR
4Bh  00h  DATA PHASE ERROR
4Ch  00h  LOGICAL UNIT FAILED SELF-CONFIGURATION
4Dh  NNh  TAGGED OVERLAPPED COMMANDS (NN = QUEUE TAG)
4Eh  00h  OVERLAPPED COMMANDS ATTEMPTED
5Dh  00h  FAILURE PREDICTION THRESHOLD EXCEEDED
5Eh  00h  LOW POWER CONDITION ACTIVE
5Eh  01h  IDLE CONDITION ACTIVATED BY TIMER
5Eh  02h  STANDBY CONDITION ACTIVATED BY TIMER
5Eh  03h  IDLE CONDITION ACTIVATED BY COMMAND
5Eh  04h  STANDBY CONDITION ACTIVATED BY COMMAND
65h  00h  VOLTAGE FAULT

This list was constructed by listing all the commands that
already apply to the D, T, W, R, and O device types and
discarding the small number of ASC/ASCQ values that could not
apply to array controllers.

Lastly, I have noticed that Peripheral Device Type table (table
21) does not include the array controller device type.  I will be
adding it as Peripheral Device Type value 0Ch.  The text
associated with it will be, "Array Controller (e.g. RAID array
controller)".