Meeting Reminder: P1285/X3T10 July Co-Located Meeting

Martin Freeman martin at savant.prpa.philips.com
Tue Jun 28 11:33:16 PDT 1994

              Meeting Reminder: P1285/X3T10 Co-Located Meeting
                        Tuesday, July 19, 1994
                            5:00-8:00 PM
                      Sheraton Tara Wayfarer Inn
                        Bedford, New Hampshire

IEEE P1285 is a standards group organized to define a new interface for
"high-latency", non-volatile memory elements such as disk drives and
flash memory. The group is targeting configurations where such elements
may be attached directly to the motherboard. The goals are to provide
support for scheduling of data transfers spanning large numbers of
elements and to represent traditional secondary storage units as
extensions to the system's main memory.

The P1285 interface has two levels: a beta level which provides a
memory-mapped window into the address space of a device's media, and a
gamma level which provides for direct access to a device's media
address space. Each interface level has associated commands. Beta level
commands are located in a device's RAM buffer, while gamma level
commands are located in main memory. A beta level command when executed
moves data between a device's RAM buffer and its media, while a
gamma-level command when executed moves data between main memory and a
device's media.

Since the last co-located meeting in November, the P1285 logical level
has been further developed with a recent concentration on the gamma
level, and work has been accomplished on two physical levels: PCI and
SCI. This progress will be discussed and copies of the current P1285
draft document will be distributed to all attendees.

For further information contact Martin Freeman, Philips Research,
(415) 354-0329, freeman at cis.stanford.edu.

July 19, X3T10 Meeting Schedule:
-------------------------------

Tuesday 5/19       9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
                   +=============================--------------+
                   +===================+=======================+
                   +===================+=======================+
                   +===============================+-----------+
                                                   | P1285     |  (15)
                                                   +-----------+
Travel Details:
--------------

LOCATION:      Sheraton Tara Wayfarer Inn
               121 South River Road
               Bedford, New Hampshire  03110
                  Phone: 603-622-3766
                  FAX:   603-666-4454

                  ROOM RATE:  $93.00 + tax (single or double)
                 GROUP NAME:  ANSI or X3T10
    RESERVATION CUTOFF DATE:  June 29, 1994

The July P1285/X3T10 co-located meeting will be held at the
Sheraton Tara Wayfarer Inn.  The inn is located about 5 miles from the
Manchester, NH airport and about 55 miles from Boston's Logan airport.

The new terminal building is now open at the Manchester airport.  The new
terminal even has jetways.  United and USAir are providing jet service to
Manchester.  American is considering jet service to Manchester.  Turboprop
service is provided by Delta, Northwest, United, USAir and Continental.

The Wayfarer provides free shuttle service to/from the Manchester airport.
A courtesy phone is available in the airport baggage claim area.  The
Wayfarer staff requests that you notify them of your intention to use the
shuttle service when you make your reservation.

Flight Line shuttle service is available from Logan airport to the
Wayfarer.  The cost is $25 one-way.  A reservation is required.  Call
800-245-2525 for reservations.

Driving from Manchester airport:  Stop at the car rental exit and read all
the signs.  The airport exit road is straight ahead and slightly to your
right.  Don't miss the airport exit, or you will end up in the long term
parking lot.  Follow the "Airport Exit" and "To I-293" signs.  The airport
exit is a T-intersection with a traffic signal.  Turn right.  Continue
through two more traffic signals until you reach I-293 and NH 101 west.
Go under the interstate and turn left onto the entrance ramp.  Move to the
center lane as quickly as you can.  After about half a mile, I-293 exits
to the right and NH 101 west continues straight.  Follow NH 101 west.
After another half mile, exit to the right on US 3.  Proceed straight
through the traffic lights at the bottom of the exit ramp (toward a Jordan
Marsh department store).  Turn left at your first opportunity after the
traffic lights.  Follow the signs to the Wayfarer.

Driving from Logan airport:  Obtain directions to I-93 north from your
rental car agency.  Take on I-93 north toward Manchester.  Just south of
Manchester (after about 50 miles) exit on to I-293 (also NH 101 west).
This is a left-lane exit.  After about 3 miles, I-293 exits to the right
and NH 101 west continues straight.  Follow NH 101 west.  After another
half mile, exit to the right on US 3.  Proceed straight through the
traffic lights at the bottom of the exit ramp (toward a Jordan Marsh
department store).  Turn left at your first opportunity after the traffic
lights.  Follow the signs to the Wayfarer.

In case of problems or questions call host Ralph Weber at 603-881-1497
or Email at weber at star.enet.dec.com.