ATA Project Proposals

Steve Finch TFINCHS%A1.VAX2T.mrouter at vax2t.tus.ssi1.com
Mon Jan 17 09:29:48 PST 1994

To: 	X3T10 Membership

From:	    Steve Finch
    	Silicon Systems, Inc.

Date:	    January 14. 1994

Subject:    Proposal for Proposed Project -- ATA3-PH

Per the agreement of the ATA Working Group meeting on January 10, 1994, I
am submitting this project proposal as one of four new projects which will
constitute the work on ATA-3 standards.  I request that the discusion and,
hopefully, forwarding of these project proposals be accomplished at the
March X3T10 plenary meeting.

Respectfully,

Steve Finch
Chair, ATA Working Group

1. Identification of Proposed Project

1.1 Title:  ATA-3 Physical Interface (ATA3-PH)

1.2 Proposer

This project is proposed by the X3T10 Technical Committee.  For additional
information, please contact John B. Lohmeyer, X3T10 Chairman, at NCR
Corporation, 3718 N. Rock Rd., Wichita, KS 67226 (Phone: 316-636-8703 FAX:
316-636-8889) or Dal Allan, X3T10 Vice-Chairman at ENDL, 14426 Black Walnut
Court, Saratoga, CA 95070 (Phone: 408-867-6630 Fax: 408-867-2115).

1.3 Date Submitted:   January 14, 1994

1.4 Project Type:   Development

2. Justification of Proposed Standard or Technical Report

2.1 Needs

The draft standard for AT Attachment has been completed and the draft for
the ATA Extensions (ATA-2) is near completion, but as the popularity of the
interface has increased, its application area has grown outside the
originally intended purpose of direct attachment of small disk drives to
desktop computers.

ATA-3 is needed to continue to broaden the scope and application area of
the ATA interface and to take advantage of the huge installed BIOS (Basic
Input/Output System) base, and software.  Support is needed for traditional
HDD devices plus additional devices such as CD-ROM and tape devices.  It is
expected that the SCSI-3 command sets can be used for these new device
types. In addition, support is also needed for removable media devices and
expanded number of cabling options.  The resulting increase in complexity
has made it desirable to divide the ATA standard into a hiarchical set of
standards, of which the ATA-3 Physical Interface is one.

 +--------+---=+
 | CSI-3            |   |    ATA-3   Multimedia  | |  |   |
 | Command Set | | Command Sets|   | Comt |
 +--- +------+------+   +======+======+

        +-------+-------+                 |

         +======+===           +======+======+
         -3 P        |   ATA-3     ||        ======+======+           +=

                +------------+------        |

         ****
      *   AT  ter          *************

2.2 Recommended Scope of Standard or t

The proposed standard shall main degreecompatibil whtes:

a)   Provide a means to support thAT Attachment protovar
s such as thaly-emeng requiresrbilities which fit ntended to require
changes to presentlled devices or existing software.  It iat this proposed
standard woused to pnal capabi
2.3 Existing Practice in f Proposed Standard or Toposed project involves
evolutionary expansion of the draft AT
Attachment stdards to provide additional capabilities.

2.4 Expected SliStandard Th
Respect to Current and Potential Technological Advance

The nature of the proposed projechat the AT Attachighly copatible growth
path.  This will insurthat current
iments in AT Attachment are provided with more stability in the face
of tl devel3. Description of Proposed Project

3.1 Type of Doct (Standard or Tel Report):   StaDefinition of Concepts and
Special Terms (if any):   n3 Expectedonship with proved Xls (e.g., DBMS,
OSI)

The ATA-3 Physical Interface standard is fo closed systems.

3.4 Recommended ograoe following progm of work is planned for tA-3 Physical
Interface andard:

 o Solicit continuing participasent AT Attachmentnts rough X3T10 procw
particts through presrelte comments by vite proposals
|from organizations that may hav con ATA-3 Physical
Interface standard.
 o Estabional requirements for ATA- Physical Interface
functional additions along with downward compatibility requirements.
 o Prepare a draft standard based on proposals submitted and otinformation
gathereitial investon.
 o Consider the results of ATAhyce testing as m
available to the committee through the voluntary efforts of the various
participants in X3T9 and its assigned task group.
 o Sroposed stanfor further processing.

3.5 Resources - Individuals and Organization Competent in Subject Matter

The current membership of X3T10 includes representatives from all parts of
hip manufacturers to large
mainframe systecturers as well as Government agencies.  The members
of X3T10 have expressed their desire to participate and cooperate in the
development of this proposed stand.

There are sufficient resources to complete the development of this standar
without delaying work on other stans.

3.6 Recommended X3 Development Techn)

It is rd that the development work be dtask group X3T10
which is responsible for developing the draft ATA Extensions standard.

3.7 Anticiequency and Duration of Meetings

Task group X3T10 mehly.  Specific task ad hoc groups
are called as may be required for one to three days between the
regulainults are not binding.

3.8 Target Date for dpANS to X3:   December 1995

3.9 Estimated Useful Life of Standard or TechnicalReport

It is anticipated that this standard will have a life oover 10 years.

4. Implementampaon Existing User  and Investments

The proposed ATA-3 Physical Interface standard will provide an upward
growth path complementary to the existing practices and investments.  It is
likely that any isod negative impacts would occur inon-staardon or
revolution.

4.2 Impact on Splier Products and Support

The proposed ATA-3 Physical Interface standard will provide an upward
growth path complementary to the existing practices and investments.  It is
likely that any isolated negative impacts would occur in any case through
non-standard evolution or revolution.

4.3 Techniques and Costs for Compliance Verification

The committee will conr the results of ATA-3 Physical Interface testing
as may be available to the committee through the voluntary efforts of the
various participants  X3 and its assigned task group.  Wtthod
all cozations of the various participants and
have for the most part been mainly an adjunct of their normal development
costs.

4.4 Legaonsideratns

No new legdcted thaottenT Attachment and in accordance with accepted X3
patent policies.

5. Closely Related Standactivities

058 Attachment Intce
  X33 X3/SPARC Study Groups:   none

5.4 OtherRelated Domestic orts:   none

5.5 ISO Standards Developis anticipated that this rd will be proposed 6
Otherional Stopment Projects:   none

5.7 Recommendations for Coordinating Liaison:   none

5.8 Recommendations for Close Liaison:   none

agreement of the ATA Working p meeting on January 10, m submitting thi four
new projects which will
constitute the work on ATndards.  I reqest that tdfully, forwarding of
these project proposals be accomplished at the
poser

This project is proposed by the X3T10 Tecr additional
information, please contact John B. Lohmeyer, X3T10 ChairCorporation, 3718
N. Rock Rd., Wichita, KS 67226 (Phone: 316-636-8703 FAX:
316-6889) or Dal Allan, X3T10 Vice-Chairman at ENDL, 14426 Black Walnut
Court, Saratoga, CA 95070 (Phone: 408-867-6630 Fax: 408-867-2115).

1.3 Date Submitted:   January 14, 1993

1.4 Project Type:   Development

2. Justification of Proposed Standard or Technical Report

2.1 Needs

The draft standard for AT Attachment has been completed and the draft for
the ATA Exteions (ATAetion, but as the popularity of the
interface has increased, its application area has grown outside the
originally intended purpose of direct attachment of small disk drives to
desktop computers.

ATA-3 is needed to continue to broaden the scope and application area of
the ATA interface and to take advantage of the huge installed BIOS (Basic
Input/Output System) base, aditionces plus additional devices such as
CD-ROM and tape devices.  It is
expectets can be used for these new device
types.  In addition, support is alor removable media devices and
expanded number of cabling options.  The resulting incase complexity
has made it desirable to divide the ATA standard into a hierarchical set of
standards, of which the ATA-3 Transport Protocol is one.

 +-----------------------+   +=============+
 | SI-3      | | Other       |   |    ATA-3    |
 | Multimedia  | | SI-3      |   |     HDD     |
 | Command Set | | Command Sets|   | Command Set |
 +------+------+ +------+------+   +======+======+
        |               |                 |
        +-------+-------+                 |
                |                         |
         +======+======+           ***************
         | ATA-3 Packet|           *   ATA-3     * <- Proposed
         | Interface   | - - - - ->* Transport   *    Project
         | Command Set |           * Protocol    *
         +======+======+           ***************
                |                         |
            --+------------+

                       +=====+=====+
                       |   ATA-3   |
                       | Physical  |
              +=====+=====+

2.2 Recommended Scope of Standard or Technical Report

The proposed ATA-3 Transport Protocol standard shall maintain a high
degreeatibility with the Attachmeproviding documentation for
new capabilities including the following candidates:

a)   Provide a means to support the AT Attachment protocol on a variety of
physical interfaces such as thfor the newly-emes to support a variety of
device types on the AT
Attachment Intece.

c)   Other c fiton a broader rications.

This proposed standard is not intended to rposed Standard or Technical
Report

The propproject involves evolutionary expanf the draft AT
Attachment standards to provideabilities.

2.4 Expected Stability of Proposed Standard or Technical Report with
Respect to Current and Potental Advan of the proposed project is to insure
that AT Attachment has
ompatible growth path.  This will insure that current
investments in AT Attachment are provided with more stability in t
of technological developments.

3. Description of Proposed Project

3.1 Type of Documentndard or hnical rt):   Standard

3.2 Definition of Concepts and Special Terms (if any):ne

3.3 Expected Relationship with Approved X3 Refe Models (e.g., DBMS,
OSI)

The ATAort Protocol stanor use in closed sycommended ProgramThe following
program of work is pla3 Traocol
sSol participatit AT Attachment
participants thgh X3 new through press
releases.  Invite commenbyons and invis
|from organizations that may hution to a viable AT
Protocol ard.
 o Establish functional requirements for ATA-tional additions along with
downward compatibiirements.
 o Prepare a draft standardubmitted and othegathered during the inital
investigationider the results of ATA3-Transport Protocol testingilable to
the committee through the voluntary efforts of the various
participants in9 anded t o Submit the draft proposed  to X3 for further
processing.

3.5 Resou - Indnt in Subject Matter

The current member3T10 atives from all parts of
the computmainframe system manufacturers as well as Government agencies.
standard
without delaying work on other standards.

3Recelopmentechnical Committees (Exisng or New)

It is recommendelopment one in task group X3T10
which is respor developing the draft ATA Extensions standard.

3cipated Frequency and Duration of Meetings

Task group X3T10 meets for bimonthlySpecific task ad hoc groups
are called as mayequired for one to three daywill have a life of over 10
years.

4. Implementation Impacts

4.1 Impices and Investments

The proposed ATA-3 Transport Protocol staide an upward
growth path complementary to the existing practices an.  It is
likely that any isolated negative impacts would occur i through
non-stion tion.4.2 Impact on SuProductSupphe proposed ATA-3 Transpootocol
standard will pard
growth path complementary to the existing pnts.  It is
likely thay isolated negative impacts would ocvolution or revolution.

4.3 Techniques and Costs for CompliaVer committee will ults of port Pe
as may be available to the voluntary efforts of thv X3T9 and its assigned
task group.th this mall costs are borne by the organizations of the various
participants and
have for the most part been mainly an of their normal
developcConsiderations
rations aretre not alreattT Attachmeand in accordance with acceptnt posely
Rlated Sds Activities

5.1 Edards:   none

5.2 X3 Standards Development Projects

  X3T9.2/90-Attachmeerface
  X3T94onsudy Grone

5r Related Domestic Standards Efforts:   noordinating Liaison:   none

5.8 Recommendations foon:   none

From:	    Steve Finch
    	Silicon Systems, In
Date:nuary_____________________________________________________
Per ttof the ATA Working Group meeting on January 10, 1994, I
mitting this prroposal as one of four new projects which will
constitute the work on ATA-3 standards.  I request that the discusion
and,hopefulct proposals be accomplished at the
March X3T10 plenary meeting.

Rely,

Steve Finch
C1. Identification of Proposed Project

1.1 Title:  ATA-3 Packet Inface (ATA3-PI)

1.2 Proser

This project is proposed by the X3T10 Technical Committee.  For additional
informationcontact John B. LohX3T10 Chaat NCR
Corporation, 3718 N. Rock Richita, KS 67226 (Phone: 316-636-8703 FAX:
316-636-8889) or Dal Allan, X3T10 Vice-Chairman at EFax: 408-867-21151.3
Dated:   December 14, 1993

1.4 Project Type:   Development

2. Justification of Proposed Standard or Technical Report

2.1 Needs

The draft standard for AT Attachment has beente for
the ATA Extensions (ATA-2) i near completion, but as the popularity of
rface has increased, its application area has grown outside the
originald purpose of direct attachment of small disk drives to
desktop computers.

ATA-3 is needed to continue to broaden the scope and application area of
and to take advantage of the huge installed BIOS (Basic
Input/Output System) base, and software.  Support is needed for traditional
HDD devices plus additional devices such as CD-ROM and tape devices.  It is
expected that the SCSI-3 command sets can ees.  In addition, support is
also neede for reable
expanded number of cabling options.  The resulting increase in complexity
has made it esirable to divideA standard into ical set of
ich the ATA-3 Packet Interface is one.

   +------CSI-3      | | Other       |   |    ATA-3    |
    |ia  | | SCSI-3      |     |
    | Command Set | | Command Sets|                   |
           +-------+-------+                 |
                   |                     *****           +======+======+
Propose ATA-3 Packet*          ATA-3     |
Project * Interface   * - - - - ->   |
  Command Set *           | Protocol    |
 ***********           +======+======+

                   +-----------+------------+

                          +=====+=====+
                          |   ATA-3   |
                          | Physical  |
                          | Interface |
                          +===========+

2.2 Recommended Scope of Standard or Technical Report

The proposed ATA-3 Packet Interface standard shall maintaegree
of compatibility with the AT Attachment while providing documentation for
new capabilities including the following candidates:

a)   Provide a means to support a variety of device tutilizing a
packetized command block in a device independe

b)   Other bilitwhich fit within the general scope of implementing
the AT Attachment Interfapplications.

This proposed standard is not intended to requirechanges to presently
installed devices or existing software.  It is intended that this proposed
would be used to provide capabilities.

2.3 Existing Practice in Area of Proposed Standard or Technical Report

The proposed project involves evolutionary expansion of the draft AT
Atchment standards to provide addith
Respect to Current and Potential Technological Advance

The nature of the proposed project is to insure that the AT Attachment has
an upward, highly compatvestments in AT Atachment are prith more stability
in the face
of technological dents.

3. Description of Proposed Project

3.1 Type of Document (Standard or Techandard

3.2 Definipecial Terms (if any):   none

3.3 Expected Relationship witpproved X3 Reference Models (e.g., DBMS,
OSI)he Aet Interface standard isin closed systems.

3.4 Recommended Program of Worwng program of work is planned for the ATA-3
Packet Interstandard:

 o Solicit continuing participation by the present AT Attachment
participaprocedures and new participants through press
releases.  Invite comments by end-user organizations and invite proposals
|from organizations that may have a contribution to a viable ATA-3 Packet
terface standard.
 o Establish functioal requirements for ATA-3 Packet Interface functional
additions along with downward compatibility requirements.
 o Prepare a drat standard based on proposals submitted and other
information gathered during the initial investigation.
 o Consider the results of ATA3-Pay be
available to the committee through the voluntary efforts of the various
participants in X3T9 and its assigned task group.
 o Submit the draft proposed standard to X3 for further processing.

3.5 Resources - Individuals and Organizations Competent in Subject Matter

The current membership of X3T10 includes representatives from all parts of
the computer industry from semiconductomanufacturers to large
mainframe system manufacturers as well as Government agencies.  The members
of X3T10 have expressed their desire toate and coopeevelopment of this
proposed standard.

There are sufficient resources to complete the development of this standard
without delaying work on other standards.

3.6 Recommended X3 Development Technical Committees (Existing or New)

It is recommended that the development work be done in task group X3T10
which is responsible for developing the draft ATA Extensard.

3.7 Anticipated Frequency and Dur of Meetings

Task group X0 meetsbimonthly.  Specific task ad hoc groups
are called as may be required for one to three days between the regular
meetings but their results are n3.8 Target Date for dpANS to X3 (Milestone
10):   Deceer 1995

3.9 Estimated Useful Life of Standard or Technical Reportnticipated that
this standard will have a life of over 1ing practices and investments.  It
is likely
that any isolated negative impacts would occur in any se through non-
standard evolution or revolution.

4.2 Impact on Suppl proposed ATA-3 Packet Interfacandard will provide an
upward growth
path complementary to the existing practices and investments. It is likely
that any isolated tive impacts would occ any case through non-
standard evolution or revol.

4.3 Techniques and Costs for Compliance Verification

The committee will consider the results of ATA-3 Packet Interface testing
as may be availammittee through the voluntary efforts of the
various participants in X3T9 and its assigned task group.  With this method
all costs are borne by the organizations of the various participants and
have for the most pan adjunct of their normal development
costs.

4.4 Legal Considerations

No new legal considerations are expected that are not already attendant
with AT Attachment and in accordance with accepted X3 patees.

5. Closely Related Standards Activities

5.1 Existing Standards:   none

5.2 X3 Standards Development Projects

  X3T9.2/90-058 Attachment Interface
  X3T9.2/91-104 ATA Extensions

5.3 X3/SPARC Study Groups:   none

5.4 O Efforts:   none

5.5 ISO Standards Development Projects

It is anticipated that this standard will be proposed to JTC1/SC25/WG4.

5.6 Other Related International Standards Development Projects:   none

5.7 Recommendations for Coordinating Liaison:   none

5.8 Recommendations for Close Liaison:   none

To: 	X3T10 Membership

From:	    Steve Finch
    	Silicon Systems, Inc.

Date:	    January 14. 1994

Subject:    Proposal for Proposed Project -- ATA3-BC
Per the agreement of the ATA Working Group meeting on January 10, 1994, I
am submitting this project proposal as one of four new projects which will
constitute the work on ATA-3 standards.  I request that the discusion and,
hopefully, forwarding of these project proposals be accomplished at the
March X3T10 plenary meeting.

Respectfully,

Steve Finch
Chair, ATA Working Group

1. Identification of Proposed Project

1.1 Title:  ATA-3 Block Command Set (ATA3-BC)

1.2 Proposer

This project is proposed by the X3T10 Technical Committee.  For additional
information, please contact John B. Lohmeyer, X3T10 Chairman, at NCR
Corporation, 3718 N. Rock Rd., Wichita, KS 67226 (Phone: 316-636-8703 FAX:
316-636-8889) or Dal Allan, X3T10 Vice-Chairman at ENDL, 14426 Black Wa,a,
CA 95070 (Phone: 408-867-6630 Fax: 408-867-2115).

1.3 Date Submitted:   December 14, 1993

1.4 Project Type:   Development

2. Justification of Proposed Technical Report

2.1 Needs

The draft standard for AT Attachment has been completed and the draft for
the ATA Extensions (ATA-2) is near completion, but as the popularity of the
interface has increased, its application area has grown outside the
originally intended purpose of direct attachment of small disk drives to
desktop computers.

ATA-3 is needed to en the scope and applicatin area of
the ATA interface and to take advantage of theBIOS (Basic
Input/Output System) base, and or traditional
HDD devices plus additional devices such as CD-ROM and tape device
expected that the SCSI-3 command sets can be used for these n
types.  In addition, support is also needed for removable media devices and
expanded number of cabling options.  The resulting increase in complexity
has mable to divide the ATA standard into a hierarchical set of
standards, of which the ATA-3 Block Command Set is one.

    +-------------+ +-------------+   ***************
    | SCSI-3      | | Other       |   *    ATA-3    *
    | Multimedia  | | SCSI-3      |   *     HDD     *
    | Command Set | | Command Sets|   * Command Set+------+ +------+------+
***************
           |               |                 |
           +-------+-------+                 |
                   |                         |
            +======+======+           +======+======+
            | ATA-3 Packet|           |   ATA-3     |
            | Interface   | - - - - ->| Transport   |
            | Command Set |           | Protoc
            +======+======+           +======+======+
                   |                         |
                   +------------+------------+

                          +=====+====                     |   ATA-3   |
                          | Physical  |
                          | Interface |
                          +===========+

2.2 Recommended Scope of Standard or Technical Report

The proposed ATA-3 Block Command Set standard shall maintain a high degree
of compatibility with the AT Attachment while providing documentation for
new capabilities including the following candidates:

a)   Provide a means to support traditional hard disk drives and removable
media disk drives.

b)   Other capabilities which fit within the general scope of implementing
the AT Attachment Interface on a broader range of applns.

This proposed standard is not intended to require changes to presently
installed devices or existing software.  It is intended that this proposed
standrd would be used to providabilities.

2.3 Existing Practice in Area of Pinvolves evolutionary expansion of the
draft AT
Attachment standards to provide additional capabilities.

2.4 Expected Stability of Proposed Standard or Technical Report with
Respect to Current and Potential Technological Advance

The nature of the proposed project is ure that the AT Attachment has
an upward, highly compatible growth path.  This will insure that current
investments in AT Attachment are provided with moity in the face
of technological developments.

3. Description of Proposed Project

3.1 Type of Document (Standard or Technical Report):   Standard

3.2 Definiton of Concepts and Special Terms (if any):   none

3.3lationship with ApproRefere., DBMS,
OSI)

The ATA-3 Block Command Set standard is for use in closed amogram of work
is planned for the ATA-3 Block Command Set
standard:

 o Solicit continuing participation by the present AT Attachment
participants through X3T10 procedurw participants through press
releases.  Invite comments by end-user organizations and invite proposals
|from organizations that may have a contribution to a viable ATA-3 Block
Command Set standard.
 o Estanctional requirements for ATA-3 Block Command Set functional
additions along with downward compatibility requirements.
 o Prepare a draft standard based on proposals submitted and other
information gatheed during the initial investigation.
 o Consider esults of ATA3-Block Command Set testing as may be
available to the committee through ths of the various
participants in X3T9 and its assigned task group.
 o Submitthe draft proposed standard to X3 for further processing.

3.5 Resources - Individuals and Organizations Competent in Subject Matter

The current membership of X3T10 includes representatives from all parts of
the computer industry from semiconductor chip manufacturers to large
mainframe system manufacturers as well as Government agencies.  The members
of X3T10 have expressed their desire to participate and cooperate in the
development of this proposed standard.

There are sufficient resources to complete the development of this standard
without delaying work on other standards.

3.6 Recommended X3 Development Technical Committees (Existing or New)

It is recommended that the development work be done in task group X3T10
which is responsible for developing the draft ATA Extensions standard.

3.7 Anticipated Frequency and Duration of Meetings

Task group X3T10 meets for two days bimonthly.  Specific task ad hoc groups
are called as may be required for one to three days between the regular
meetings but their results are not binding.

3.8 Target Date for dpANS to X3 (Milestone 10):   December 1995

3.9 Estimated Useful Life of Standard or Technical Report

It is anticipated that this standard will have a life of over 10 years.

4. Implementation Impacts

4.1 Impact on Existing User Practices and Investments

The proposed ATA-3 Block Command Set standard will provide an upward growth
path complementary to the existing practices and investments.  It is likely
that any isolated negaive impacts would occur in any case through non-
standard evolution or revolution.

4.2 Impact on Supplier Products and SuThe proposed ATA-3 Block Command Set
standard will provide an upward growth
path complementary to the existing practices and investments.  It is likely
that any isolated negative impacts would occur in any case through non-
standard evolution or revolution.

4.3 Techniques and Costs for Compliance Verification

The committee will consider the results of ATA-3 Block Command Set testing
as may be available to mmittee through the voluntary efforts of the
various participants in X3T9 and its assigned task group.  With this method
all costs are borne by the organizations of the various participants and
have for the most part been mainly an adjunct of their normal development
costs.

4.4 Legal Considerations

No new legal considerations are expected that are not already attendant
with AT Attachment and in accordance with accepted X3 patent policies.

5. Closely Related Standards Activities

5.1 Existing Standards:   none

5.2 X3 Standards Development Projects

  X3T9.2/90-058 Attachment Interface
  X3T9.2/91-104 ATA Extensions

5.3 X3/SPARC Study Groups:   none

5.4 Other Related Domestic Standards Efforts:   none

5.5 ISO Standards Development Projects

It is anticipated that this standard will be proposed to JTC1/SC25/WG4.

5.6 Other Related International Standards Development Projects:   none

5.7 Recommendations for Coordinating Liaison:   none

5.8 Recommendations for Close Liaison:   none

Steve Finch, Silicon Systems, Inc.
PH:  714 573-6808,  FAX:  714 573-6914
email:  5723283 at mcimail.com