A problem in SPI

Steve Finch TFINCHS%A1.VAX2T.mrouter at vax2t.tus.ssi1.com
Fri Feb 25 07:44:23 PST 1994

I have noticed a minor problem.  Was it the intent to change the timing of
a Selection or Reselection after negotiating for Fast Synchronous
Transfers?

The Selection and Reselection services specify System Deskew Delay as part
of their descritpions.  This value, according to Table 10, changes between
Fast and Slow/Asynch timing.  Since we power up async we would utilize one
timing, and once we negotiated for Fast transfers, we could use another
timing.

I don't think the system skew changes just because to devices have agreed
to run fast.

I also noted that there are references to "deskew delays" which are not
defined.  I assumed that these were "system deskew delays" (as an example,
see 10.3.4, in paragraph beginning "When the initiator...").

This led me to review all of the differences between Fast and Slow timings
in Table 10.  Can anyone explain why the Transmit Hold Time changes between
Fast and Slow, but the Receive Hold Time doesn't?  Or why the Transmit Hold
Time varies between the two modes, but the Transmit Setup Time doesn't?

Steve Finch
Silicon Systems
Ph:  714 573-6808
Fx:  714 573-6916