Open issues from January 11 SAM working group

John Lohmeyer jlohmeye at ncr-mpd.FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
Wed Feb 9 08:53:05 PST 1994

"Charles Monia, monia at starch.enet.dec.com, wrote:"

> Item 1: When must a target automatically return sense data?
>
> Assuming the protocol supports automatic return of sense data by a
> target (AKA 'autosense'), and the application client (i.e., the device
> driver) requests autosense information, when must the target return such
> information?
>
> a) If and only if a command terminates with a CHECK CONDITION or COMMAND
>    TERMINATED status.
>
> b) Any time sense data is available after completion of a command,
>    regardless of status. E.g., on the occurrence of a recovered error
>    after a status of GOOD was returned.

I would lobby for case a). Those targets that report GOOD status on a
recovered error obviously DO NOT want to confess their sins to the
initiator.  (They really should use CHECK CONDITION status and RECOVERED
ERROR sense key.)

John

--
John Lohmeyer                      E-Mail:  John.Lohmeyer at FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
NCR Microelectronics                Voice:  719-573-3362