Command Queuing and SAM

Jim McGrath /G=Jim/S=McGrath/O=QMAILGW/PRMD=QUANTUM/ADMD=MCI/C=US/ at qntm.com
Tue Feb 8 15:51:21 PST 1994

                      Subject:                              Time:  2:55 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Command Queuing and SAM               Date:  2/8/94

Is it required by SAM that any SCSI protocol support all of the traditional
queuing functions (e.g. head of queue, ordered, abort, clear queue, etc...). ?
It would be a goodness if only unordered queuing and some abort function (reset
anyone) be required.

The reason I am opening this is because of ATA command queuing, where I want to
develop a very simple solution.  Functions other than unordered are either
useless or can be emulated by the host (i.e. just send down commands one at a
time for ordered commands).  This simplification should help in making queuing
easier for ATA implementations.

Feedback is appreciated.

Jim