DTE & PER

Skip Jones sk_jones at qlc.com
Wed Aug 24 05:32:20 PDT 1994

I vaguely remember when the bits were being defined but I certainally know how
they were implemented on any product I've defined or been involved with.

DTE set is a Stop-On-Error, recoverable that is, function (a famous
device-level interface tester function).

Device is supposed to transfer the entire erroring LBA and then stop
transferring data, making the LBA in error the last block transferred.

This goes for any data transfer or data checking command such as READ and
VERIFY.

I agree that it is not very well worded.  But, then again Page Code 01h has
been debatable since day-one.

By the way, there is a question I have been wanting to ask  reflector-ites.  I
assume that everyone sets their EER bit these days with On-the-Fly correction
being the standard.  Right?

I'd hate to think that you guys are still spinning around trying to recover
data with retries BEFORE you allow all this fancy On-the-Fly ECC to kick-in and
do the job that you demand us chip guys provide for free!

Regards,
Skip Jones