RAID Working Group Meeting Minutes

John Lohmeyer jlohmeye at ncr-mpd.FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
Wed Aug 24 08:10:58 PDT 1994


Accredited Standards Committee
X3, Information Processing Systems
                                                 Doc. No.: X3T10/94-170r0
                                                     Date: August 16, 1994
                                                  Project: 1047D
                                                Ref. Doc.:
                                                 Reply to: G. Penokie

To:       Membership of X3T10

From:     George Penokie and Larry Lamers

Subject:  Minutes of X3T10 SCC Working Group Meeting -August 16, 1994



AGENDA

1. Opening Remarks
2. Attendance and Membership
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Report on last RAID Working Group
5. Update on proposed working draft
6. Review of new figures (Penokie)
7. Editorial review of revision 1 (Penokie)
8. Action Items
9. Meeting Schedule
10. Adjournment

Results of Meeting

1.      Opening Remarks

George Penokie convened the meeting at 9:00 am, Tuesday, August 16, 1994.
He thanked Bob Masterson of Methode for hosting the meeting.

This is a joint meeting of the X3T10 SCSI Controller Commands working group
and the RAB Host Interface working group.  The purpose of the group is to
deal with interface issues related to using RAIDs.  The study group will
assess the issues and then formulate a strategy for dealing with them.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of the
attendance list was circulated for attendance and corrections.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by X3T10 and would be
conducted under the X3 rules.  Working group meetings take no final
actions, but prepare recommendations for approval by the X3T10 task group.
The voting rules for the meeting are those of the parent committee, X3T10.
These rules are:  one vote per company; and any participating company
member may vote.

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI BBS and the SCSI
Reflector and will be included in the next committee mailing.

2.      Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum
attendance requirements for X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are
open to any person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the
subjects being discussed.

RAID Study Group Meeting Attendees

Attendee          Company             Email Address
----------------  ------------------  -------------------------------
Larry Lamers      Adaptec             ljlamers at aol.com
Jerry Fredin      AT&T/GIS            jerry fredin at wichitaks.ncr.com
M. Jibbe          AT&T/GIS            mahmoud.jibbe at wichitaks.ncr.com
Doug Hagerman     Digital             hagerman at starch.enet.dec.com
Bill Hutchinson   HP                  hutch at boi.hp.com
George Penokie    IBM                 gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Dick McCormick    Peer Protocols

3.       Approval of Agenda

The agenda developed at the meeting was approved.

4.      Report on last RAID Working Group

The last working group meeting was held in Bedford, NH.  The minutes of
that meeting have been distributed on the SCSI Reflector.

5.      Update on proposed working draft

The current revision of the SCC working draft is 1.  This revision was
distributed at the meeting.  Copies are available from the SCSI bulletin
board.

6.      Review of new figures (Penokie)

George reviewed the new figures that were generated to improve
understanding of the volume set data mapping; XOR redundancy mapping; .

7.      Additional service action (Penokie)

A service action code (07h) was added for BREAK PERIPHERAL DEVICE /
COMPONENT DEVICE.

8.      Editorial review of revision 1 (Penokie)

George reviewed the changes incorporated into the revision 1 of the SCC
working draft.  He pointed out that error codes have been delineated
throughout the document.

9.      Action Items

a)George Penokie to prepare revision 2 of the SCC working draft.

10.     Meeting Schedule



The next meeting is scheduled for 9:00 am - 5:00 pm on September 13, 1994 at
the Hotel Sofitel in Houston, TX (800- 231-4621).

11.     Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 pm.





More information about the T10 mailing list