TB, DTE and PER bit interac

Jim McGrath jmcgrath at qntm.com
Mon Aug 22 21:00:18 PDT 1994

                      Subject:                              Time:  8:39 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         TB, DTE and PER bit interaction       Date:  8/22/94

I have a question about the interaction of the TB, DTE and PER bits in the
error recovery pages.

 In rev 10K of SCSI-2, section 9.3.3.6, it states that "the TB bit does not
affect the action taken for recovered data." - i.e. it is a noop if we have
a recovered error.  In the case of DTE being set to 1, we have to stop
transferring data on a recovered error (table 169).  But I can find no
guidance
on what point does the transfer stop - especially if the block with the
recovered data is transferred or not, and if transferred if it is the last
block transferred.  The TB bit does not help, and I cannot find any clear
wording.
Did we deliberately leave this up to the implementor's option?  Does anyone
care?

Jim