REQUIRE AN IDENTIFY MESSAGE IN SIP

Duncan Penman penman at netcom.com
Mon Aug 15 22:18:37 PDT 1994

	I agree we've passed a point of no return in the use of Identify
Message Out.  I've no objection to clarifying the expected behavior in
SIP.  I do feel a bit cautious about accepting your request verbatim for
two reasons:

1) It violates my (admittedly primitive) grasp of SAM's layering
philosophy to specify the behavior of an interface signal in the protocol
document...seems the natural home would be SPI.

2) I can envision a number of other disastrous cases that could result
|from broken interface hardware.  My own experience has been that trying
to specifically address any but the most common failure modes is
counterproductive.  I'd like to understand more clearly why this
particular hardware failure should be singled out.

	So none of this is to say "Yes" or "No" at this time.  I'll
certainly raise the question at the appropriate time and include or
exclude the text you've requested according to the voice of the committee
membership.  In the meantime, it's on the queue of issues.  Thanks for
taking the time to propose it and give us some background.

Regards

Duncan Penman